Lipoma Removal - Would Surgery Require an Overnight Hospital Stay?

I have a lipoma on the back of my neck and am planning on having it removed. Can I leave the hospital the same day as the surgery or would I have to stay overnight?

Very rarely does lipoma surgery require overnight stay

+3

Large or small, subcutaneous or other, drain or no drain, rarely do lipomas require hospitalization. Most of these can be resected under local anesthesia and sometimes, for anxious patients, general anesthesia may be preferred. A thorough discussion with the surgeon regarding all of these issues can help make this a comfortable experience for the patient. If a drain is necessary, it can be removed in the office several days after the procedure. Only giant lipomas that are resected require drain placement.

Buffalo General Surgeon

Most likely same day surgery

+3

Unless there is some underlying medical reason that the doctor would want to observe you overnight, or if the lipomas are quite large, you would most likely be able to go home the same day.  It's hard to know without examining you first, but in most cases this is an outpatient procedure.

Web reference: http://www.drsalemy.com/

Generally speaking removal of a lipoma is an outpatient...

+2
Generally speaking removal of a lipoma is an outpatient surgery sone under local anesthesia and you will be able to go home sortly after the surgery. The specifics of your medical condition and the location of the lipoma may alter that but I doubt it.
You should definitely consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can advise on the best way to proceed with your surgery.

Web reference: http://www.drrobkessler.com/

Does Lipoma Removal Require an Overnight Stay?

+1

Some lipomas invade the underlying muscle fascia or arise deep between muscles. These require careful surgery and could involve an overnight stay. But the smaller, superficial lipomas that are by far the most common, are just under the skin. In my practice, these are office procedures done under local anesthesia and some oral sedation. 

Since I use the Smartlipo Triplex laser to help remove the lipoma, the approach is through two, 3 mm incisions, not a longer incision. This helps the recovery as well as avoiding the longer scar.

When asked specific questions about an area such as the neck, the answer is that the doctor would have to evaluate that lipoma in person to make an accurate answer.

Web reference: http://www.enhanced-you.com/smart-lipo/smartlipo-triple-removal-of-lipoma/

Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Usually is a same day surgery

+1

Lipoma is a benign adipose  tissue tumour.

Surgical excision of a lipoma is a very simple surgical manouver.

Usually, lipomas are removed under local anesthesia and don't require hospitalization. Depending on lipoma size and patients clinical particulars -specially if general anesthesia required- a overnight hospital stay may be required.

Spain Plastic Surgeon

Outpatient lipoma removal

+1

Generally, I perform removal of subcutaneous lipomas in my office surgery suite. For sub muscular lipomas or if there are medical indications for an ambulatory or hospital setting, this is always same day surgery and does not require an overnight stay. You should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to insure that, if the lipoma is diffuse or complex, your physician has the ability to completely remove the mass and has the facility to handle bleeding or other complications.

Overnight Stay for Lipoma Surgery?

+1

It would be extremely unusual for lipoma surgery to require a hospital stay. The only exception might be a particularly large or intramuscular lipoma that was difficult to remove or was complicated by bleeding or another complication not related to the lipoma itself. It would also be very rare to have lipoma surgery in a surgery center or in a hospital operating room. The vast majority of lipomas can be easily and safely removed in a doctor's office.

Web reference: http://www.dermatology-center.com

Lipoma surgery is an outpatient procedure

+1

In the majority of cases lipoma removal should be able to be performed in an outpatient setting under local anaesthesia.

Web reference: http://www.aglowdermatology.com

Lipoma removal should be outpatient

+1

Almost all lipoma removal should be able to be performed in an outpatient setting. Delayed recovery from general anesthesia (e.g. fluid overload in the lungs) would be the only reason to have an overnight hospital stay  from an outpatient procedure such as lipoma removal. Therefore, always ask your plastic surgeon or dermatologic surgeon if surgical procedures can be done without general anesthesia.

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Go home after lipoma removal

+1

I don't recall ever having a patient stay in a hospital after removal of a lipoma.  In most cases I perform the surgery in our own on-site accredited facility under only local anesthesia.  You can drive yourself home.

Tips on selecting a plastic surgeon can be viewed by watching the video below:

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.