I Have a Lipoma on my Left "Lip" of my Vagina, It's Uncomfortable, Should I Have it Removed?

My gyno discovered it about 5 years ago, after he sent me for further testing, and MRI. It came up a Lipoma. He said it was benine and it was up to me if I wanted to leave it alone. I decided to leave it alone, and now about 5 years later, it has grown and I went back to my gyno and he agreed that it has grown, but when I asked his advice, it was to leave it alone. I feel it's starting to become uncomfortable and I don't know if it's harmful to leave it alone.

Lipoma and labiaplasty

+1

When benign tumors grow they can cause discomfort as you have noted. It is appropriate to undergo surgical removal of the lipoma for this reason and to include excision of the labia for symmetry if indicated.  Discuss the risks associated with the procedure and consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon as well.

Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Labia lipoma

+1

If the lipoma is bothering you, it is reasonable to remove it at this point.  It will likely be a simple procedure that may be performed under local anesthesia.

David Stoker, MD

Lipoma and labiaplasty

+1
I would probably have it removed. Try talking with a plastic surgeon, I have found that many obgyn doctors don't have much experience with labiaplasty surgery and that may be playing into the recommendation. While a lipoma won't hurt you they are commonly removed by plastic surgeons in all areas of the body. Good luck, Dr K

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Lipoma and labiaplasty

+1

Dear Marlene69,

if you leave the lipoma alone, it may be slow growing and become more " bothersome "

a labiaplasty could be performed using a wedge excision to include the lipoma ( to be sent for pathology too )This could be covered by your health insurance assuming your surgeon obtained pre-authorization and you do not have a too high deductible. a contra-lateral labiaplasty may be necessary to match the size, but may be labeled " cosmetic " then.

good luck

Florence Mussat

Florence Mussat, MD

Lipoma of Labia Treatment?

+1

Yes, you should have a growing/symptomatic lipoma removed. It may also be advisable to remove some labia skin if it has stretched secondary to the growth of the lipoma.

Growing lipoma

+1

A growing lipoma that is bothersome would likely be best removed, no matter where it is.  I would suggest getting a second opinion from another gynecologist.

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon