Can Trauma Cause Lipoma?

I had an injury on my head, neck and left shoulder 2 decades ago. Since then, my left shoulder has bothered me and the area that was hit by a canec tile developed a lipoma. Can a lipoma be due to trauma? How can you tell if a lipoma is directly related to prior trauma? What kind of surgeon would you go to for removal of intramuscular and intermuscular lipoma involving the rhomboid muscle of the shoulder? The lipoma size is about 6-8 inches in diameter.

Trauma Does Not Cause Lipomas

+1

Trauma is not known to be a cause of lipomas. A lipoma is a benign tumor that occurs in fat tissue. Lipomas can be removed by direct excision or liposuction. Liposuction may not remove all of the lipoma and may result in a recurrence years later, but the scar is so much smaller it may be worth the risk of recurrence. About one out of one thousand lipomas can be a malignant tumor called a liposarcoma. However, these tumors are usually more firm than lipomas. A surgeon capable of both liposuction and direct excision will provide you with the most options of treatment. A biopsy should be considered strongly whenever tumors are removed.

Burley Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lipoma after Trauma

+1

A lipoma is not related to trauma. Your lipoma in the rhomboid muscle in the shoulder should be removed by a plastic surgeon. If it is superficial and only in skin (subcutaneous) it can be removed by liposuction. If  it is in the muscle then you will need open surgery.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon