I had lipolysis performed on my flanks, love handles, lower/upper abdomen on 1/11/14. When will swelling and bruising go down?

I am 5 days into post-op and I am still very much swollen, bloated and black and blue all over. I also can not wear any pants as they do not zip and I am at the weight that I went in when I had the procedure. When will the bruising, swollen go away? Thank you.

Post liposuction

+1
Certainly you have swelling that would mask the result of your surgery at this point. I tell my patients to be careful about salt intake as this can make swelling worse. It can easily take 2-3 months to see your final results after a big surgery like you had.  Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have with your surgeons for his evaluation and advice. Good luck, Dean Vistnes.

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and Bruising

+1
It is completely normal to still be swollen at such an early stage after surgery. Your soft tissues (fat cells) are reacting normally to your surgery. The weight is due to the swelling and will go away over the next several weeks. In fact you may even weigh more than your pre op weight in the first couple of weeks. You should expect to have swelling for several months. Many patients notice that swelling will increase in the first few weeks after surgery as your activity increases. It may take 3-6 months for all of your swelling to resolve so be patient and check with your surgeon if you have specific concerns.

Lee E. Corbett, MD

Post-op liposuction

+1
It is normal to be swollen after liposuction and it will take several months for the swelling to come down. Be patient and give it more than 5 days.