Lipofilling to Repair BA Rippling

Hello, I did read that Lipofilling is used a lot for breast reconstruction , but what about fixing rippling after BA? I seem to understand that the procedure is possible, therefore why is it not used every time when rippling occurs ? Can it fix only moderate rippling/wrinkling? Also, are there no risks to damage the implant itself? Thank you in advance . C

Lipo filling after Breast Augmentation Works Well to Treat Rippling

+2

The short answer is yes, fat grafting is the best way, in my opinion to treat rippling by improving the soft tissue coverage over the implant.  If done by a well trained board certified plastic surgeon, the danger to the implant is minimal.

Revision with Fat Transplantation

+2

Fat transplantation can restore sufficient soft tissue coverage over implants.  As implants put internal pressure on the soft tissue from below,  with time the breast soft tissue can "thin".  I often fat graft over implants in revision augmentation, or in primary breast augmentation when there is insufficient soft tissue.  This is called "bilamellar breast augmentation".  YOu can see an example of this in my photo section under revision augmentation.

Best Regards,  Dr Del Vecchio

Daniel Del Vecchio, MD

Fat Grafting for rippling

+2

Rippling after breast augmentation is most commonly a result of inadequate soft tissue coverage over the implant. The treatment for your individual case depends on a variety of factors: is your implant saline or silicone, textured or smooth, over or under the muscle, and if it is saline is it partially deflated or under-filled. Yes, fat grafting in the right hands is a safe and effective treatment for superficial contour deformities. Use of ADM, Strattice from Lifecell Corp. may also be beneficial. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine the best long term treatment plan for you.    

Charles A. Messa III, MD

Fat grafting for implant rippling is possible

+2

The use of fat grafting for implant failure,rippling  and contracture can be done safely if done by a surgeon that is experienced. I offer fat grafting for implant rippling ,implant removal and reconstruction. You can check my wb site for examples. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Lipofiling and rippling

+2

Fat injection may help with rippling by adding another layer between the skin and the implant. However, there is a risk of implant rupture.

Very effective

+2

Lipofilling or fat transfer is very effective in correcting rippling.  We routinely use it as a first line of treatment proposed for the correction of implant rippling after breast augmentation or breast reconstruction and have seen excellent results.

The risk of damage to the implant is directly related with the technique and the experience of the surgeon with this technique.  Whenever a procedure is performed on a breast with an implant there is also the risk of developing an infection or inciting a capsular contracture, although to this date we have not seen any.

Mario Diana, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

Lipofilling after breast augmentation

+2

Lipofilling using transferred fat cells is commonly used to correct minor contour deformities and asymmetries following breast reconstruction.  There is no reason the technique cannot also be used after breast augmentation.  But, there are risks.  First, rippling usually occurs in the area of the breast where there is the least amount of soft tissue over the implant; that is, where the tissues are very thin.  So, there is a small chance of damaging the implant when the fat is injected.  Secondly, if a significant amount of the transferred fat does not survive, necrosis can occur.  Sometimes calcification can occur in necrotic fat, and this can cause confusion in interpreting mammograms. 

So, it can be done, with caution.  Another option be to use an "acellular dermal matrix", such as Alloderm, to provide additional thickenes or coverage over the implant.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon