Lipofilling of Lips and Cheeks, When Will the Swelling Go Down? (photo)

This is a picture of my lips 3 days after having a lipofilling of my lips and cheeks. How long will the swelling last and will this be the actual volume of my lips and cheeks and how much is going to be absorbed ?

3 days post-op

+1

Three days post surgery is still very early for you to judge the results of your surgery - be patient and follow up with your surgeon

Lipofilling and swelling

+1

Good Question, this is what we usually tell our clients post Fat Transfer:
1. We usually see you the next day after your procedure.  This is when we determine if you have swelling that we should worry about. 
1. Your swelling may increase over the next 3-4 days.  Sometimes swelling lasts well over a week in a small population of patients.  It is all dependent on the amount of surgery that you have.
2. Try to avoid sleeping on the sides of your face.  This can lead to asymmetry and to a distorted look.  Give yourself some time for the swelling to go down.  All lumps and bumps eventually resolve. 
3. Sleeping at a 30-45 degree angle, on your back can help the swelling for the first week.
4. Cool compresses (frozen pack, or bag of frozen peas) are essential for the first 7 days (or longer if needed) 15-20 minutes each hour.  No warm compresses are recommended nor Massage unless directed by the Doctor.
5. 15-20 minute walks twice a day will also resolve residual bruising and swelling (start these 3 days after your surgery if you would like).
6. If you notice redness spreading, skin hot to the touch, white/yellow discharge from the incisions, or increased pain to one particular area, please set up an appointment to be seen as this could be an infection that is easily treatable if caught early.

Good Luck!

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon