Lipodissolve vs. Liposuction: Are Results Similar?

Could I get similar results from lipodisolve as under-going liposuction? I surely rather not have invasive surgery!

Lipodisolve results could be unpredictable and unimpressive

+3

lipodisolve is the injection of solutions to help disolve the subcutanous fat. unfortunately, this could be very unpredictable. I have corrected several patients who have had multiple big dents as a result of this procedure.

liposuction is much more predictable and safer.

Lipodissolve is to be avoided

+2

Lipodissolve is to be avoided.  The theory is to inject certain medications into the fat which the patient wants "dissolved" and it magically disappears.  The problems are many: 1) There is no agreed upon set of medications to be used, 2) There is no standardization of the concentrations of the medications used, 3) The FDA has not approved it, 4) the procedure is not controlled nor widely accepted, 5) lipodissolve has a high complication rate.  Long story short; avoid lipodissolve and get a board certified plastic surgeon to do your liposuction which is time tested, safe and predictable.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Lipodissolve is dangerous and unpredictable. Liposuction is safe and predictable.

+2

I would avoid lipodissolve altogether if I were you.  It is a "formula" injected in the fat that is painful and associated with a high complication rate.

Lipodissolve is a dirty word for most plastic surgeons

+2

No.  There is no similarity.  Lipodissolve is unpredictable.  Liposuction is measurable and controlled by the surgeon. 

I have personally had to fix many problems that resulted from lipodissolve therapy.

For an example, look at the tummy tuck photos on my profile.  One of the preop photos shows the irregular results of lipodissolve in the abdomen (labelled as such).

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Stay away from Lipodissolve - keine Empfehlung für Fett-Weg-Spritze

+2

Unserer Erfahrung lassen sich mit der Fett-Weg-Sprizue keine guten Ergebnisse erzielen. Es können allerdings langdauernde Entzündungen und Knoten auftreten. Die Fettabsaugung (Liposuktion) ist die effektivere und sicherer Methode.

In our experience there are no good results with Lipodissolve. In contrary, long standing inflammation or nodules may develop. Liposuction is the safer and more effective method.

Robert Kasten, MD
Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon

Lipodissolve usually doesn't work whereas liposuction always works.

+2

Lipodissolve is not done by most physicians anymore do to being ineffective and somewhat dangerous.  Liposuction is a tried and true method of fat removal and is easy to go through.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

No

+2

I may be biased since only people with bad Lipodissolve results end up coming to my office for liposuction consults. However, I have not seen anyone happy with their Lipodisolve results. Also, patients describe having to go back for many "treatments" and having "lumps." However, I assume that those patients that are happy with the Lipodissolve never end up coming to see us for liposuction. I can tell you with certainty that liposuction is very, very effective and can lead to amazing results. You do have to keep in mind that it is a surgical procedure and, like all procedures including Lipodissolve, there are inherent risks. Good luck with your procedure.

David Shafer, MD
Shafer Plastic Surgery

David Shafer, MD

Lipodissolve is not the equivolent of any form of Liposuction

+1

Liposuction is to remove fat with suction via a cannula and generally removes live fat at a relatively predictable rate and area.

With Lipodissolve a chemical is injected that kills the fat and the body has to get rid of the dead tissue over time.The liposuction would be much more predictable.

You should consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss it further

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Lipodissolve is unpredictable

+1

Lipodissolve is not predictable.  It is not FDA approved and should be approached with caution. Complications include infection and skin ulceration.  While some legitimate practitioners have documented acceptable results with this treatment it has not gained widespread acceptance.  The FDA recently warned multiple med spas regarding false advertising claims surrounding lipodissolve.  Liposuction is not for everyone and is a body contouring rather than a weight loss procedure.  In experienced hands, however, it will deliver consistent predictable results.

Jason R. Hess, MD

Liposuction, liposdissolve

+1

Lipodissolve is not approved by the FDA. The medications that are injected to dissolve the fat have unknown effects on the fat. It is also not thoroughly understood how the dissolved fatty by-products are processed by the body. I have seen several patients who have been disappointed by the minimal results they obtained. I have seen others who have divoting and contouring problems, as well was permanent brown discoloration of ths skin. There are so many excellent liposuction methods that work and have minimal risk associated, that htis procedure should be avoided in my opinion.

Patti A. Flint, MD