Lipoabdominoplasty- Am I A Candidate?

hello. i am 20 years old and i have a two year old daughter. i am very unhappy with my body after having a child. i am 5'4 and i weigh 163 pounds. i have tried many different diet and exercise regimens and nothing has helped me to loose anything. i actually still look like i am about 4 months pregnant. my self confidence is tearing my marriage apart. i was just wanting to know if i could possibly be a candidate for lipoabdominoplasty or some other abdominal surgery.

Okay to have a tummy tuck even if you are 20 pounds or so overweight

+1

Usually women are bothered more by this problem than their male partners.  And the psychological ramifications can be huge.  I have not seen your photos, but from your description you may well be a candidate for combined liposuction and a tummy tuck.  In 90% of women, I perform liposuction when I perform a tummy tuck.  The techniques complement each other nicely and contribute to obtaining an hourglass figure.  You can view examples on my website (link attached).  Sounds like you are a little overweight, but not a lot.  Many of my patients are 20 pounds or so above ideal weight and they still make excellent candidates for surgery.  After surgery they tend to be more motivated to work out because they feel that there is some point to it.  They can see the results.

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Lipoabdominoplasty- Am I A Candidate?

+1

Maybe, but it depends both on what you mean by that, and on what your future plans might be regarding more children.

Lipoabdominoplasty is simply a term; as with others it may mean different things to different people (including patients, surgeons, etc).  Surgeons may agree on what procedure would give you the best result, and may simply have different names for it.

Either way, though, it's a fairly large procedure and you may want to consider waiting until you've finished having children (in view of your young age) before proceeding.  Or you may want to go ahead.  To figure that out, though, you need to know exactly what would or could be done for you.  You should have a few consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons near you.  After visiting a few you'll have a much better idea of the type of result you can expect, how extensive the procedure would be, how expensive, and all the other factors you need to consider before proceeding.  And you may decide, despite that, to go ahead or you may decide, for any of a number of reasons, not to, at least at this time.

Either way, though, you will have made a more informed decision, and you can't expect to do more than that.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Candidacy for a lipo-abdominoplasty.

+1

The only way to determine this is through an in-person consultation with a physical exam. To find a Board Certified plastic surgeon in your area, I recommend that you visit the website below.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Lipo-abdominoplasty candidate

+1
I hear your distress about your self image and the effect on your marriage. Normally I advise patients to wait until after they are finished having children for abdominoplasty. However, I would urge you to seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you and make a recommendation. Perhaps you may be a candidate for a mini tuck or liposuction at this juncture in your life. If you are that unhappy, a meeting with a counselor to discuss your state of mind may also be warranted. Best of luck to you.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

Congratulations on your young family. At some point, preferably after you have finished having children, you will be a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery. Ideally you will be at a stable weight where you did not expect significant fluctuation of weight after your surgery.

Some words of advice you may find helpful...

You are about to undergo a major operation which often involves a significant physical and emotional recovery. A few words of advice may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Lipoabdominoplasty- Am I A Candidate? Answer:

+1

A bit of weight loss would be even better but I do Abdominal Liposuction with a tummy tuck all the time and patients do great. It is a great tool to help thin out the tummy skin and gives a Tummy Tuck even a better result. It can be done safely. But at 20 years old and one child, it would be best if you were done with having children.

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Lipoabdominoplasty-Who Is A Candidate?

+1

Dear Navy wife79, It is hard to give you a more specific answer without photos but I will provide a few general recommendations.  While you have mentioned trying different diet and exercise programs without much success, I urge to not give up now.  Many women have to try a number of different programs to find the one that works for them and is right for their lifestyle.  Try getting into an exercise routine with others that you will engage in on a regular basis and enjoy doing.  The group activity provides a support group to help keep you all on track.  The same with choosing a diet.  Find one that you know you can commit to and follow.  Crash diets do not work. Again, a strong support system like used in WeightWatchers really can help.  Places to find these programs are at your local YMCA and similar community-based centers. There may be a number of these centers on your base.  Your primary care doctor's office may be able to help direct you.  Exercise will also help you feel better about yourself and how you interact with your spouse. 

An abdominoplasty with or without liposuction really should be saved for when you know you are finished having children.  If you have your surgery and then have more children, you will lose the results from your surgery and maybe even have to redo your procedure.  Even if you are finished having children, to get the best results possible, you want to be closer to your ideal body weight before proceeding with surgery.

Please see both your primary care doctor for discussion about weight and diet management and also a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss the correct timing for any body contouring procedures including an abdominoplasty.  Good Luck and thank you for what you do for all of us!

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Lipoabdominoplasty- Am I A Candidate?

+1

Without posting photos best to see in person boarded PSs. If you are considering more children, please think about this before having this operation. 

Lipoabdomenoplasty

+1

without examining you to evaluate the integrity of your abdominal muscles and the amount of visceral fat, or fat inside of your abdomen beneath the muscles, it is hard to make a decision on what would be best for you. It might be just liposuction, or just a tummy tuck, or a combination of the two. I think it best to see a surgeon in person so they can make a correct recommendation.

Julio Garcia, MD

Lipoabdominoplasty

+1

It's hard to give any advice without photographs, but in general, good candidates are healthy patients who are at or near their ideal stable body weight and are finished having children.  While it can be very hard to deal with the changes that occur after pregnancy,  if you have any plans for more children in the near future you might want to consider waiting until afterwards.   I would recommend that you see a board-certified plastic surgeon for a consultation so that he or she can examine you and give you advice based on your body and your individual situation.   Hope this helps and good luck.

Michelle Spring, MD