I Am Considering Getting Some Lipo Done. Whch is Better? SmartLipo or Traditional?

I have had 2 different consultations. ( Regular lipo and Smartlipo ) each Dr says their technique is better. I was told Smartlipo can get rid of more fat than traditional lipo. is that true? The smart lipo seems to be a liitle more expensive. Any advise would be appreciated.

Which lipo is better ?

+2

Simple  >  It is the technique and the technician - Not the machine 

A good surgeon with a good technique will get good results in almost all the patients (Also please keep in mind that selection of the patient is also important).

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Is SmartLipo better than Traditional Liposuction?

+2

Dear rdelgado,

The most important factor to consider when choosing a liposuction technique is not the technique itself but, rather, the judgment, skill, and experience of the physician performing the liposuction.

A highly trained and skilled physician (ie. Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologic Surgeon) can achieve excellent liposuction results in a properly selected patient with a variety of techniques including traditional tumescent liposuction, laser assisted liposuction (eg. Smartlipo, Prolipo), ultrasonic assisted liposuction (e.g. Vaser), power assisted liposuction, etc. At this point in time, there is no clear scientific evidence or consensus that one technique is better than another.

Choose your surgeon and facility wisely, and be wary of marketing hype.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Smart, smarter, smartest lipo: know the facts

+2

Smart lipo is one of many liposuction techniques that uses a laser; this adds expense and risk. Keeping in mind that laser lipo is still liposuction, and all liposuction is surgery, the most important thing is the surgeon not the device that he or she uses.

Richard Baxter, MD

Liposuction: The Surgeon Matters More than the Technology

+1
The expertise of the surgeon at hand is more important than the technology being used. Though Smart-Lipo does have some skin tightening benefits the difference is not significant. The bottom line is that the surgeon should have proper experience in using the technique that he or she proposes.

Jeffrey Weinzweig, MD

Smart Lipo or Traditional Liposuction

+1

Liposuction method is not nearly as important as liposuction surgeon.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

What kind of liposuction is best?

+1

The liposuction technology is not as important as the expertise of the plastic surgeon providing the service. While there may be some additional skin tightening benefits with the SmartLipo if performed correctly, there are also higher risks of thermal injury and subcutaneous scar formation. The difference between SmartLipo and "regular" lipo is usually not that significant. If they were honest with you, most plastic surgeons would agree that SmartLipo is a nice marketing tool more than anything else.  

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo Versus Traditional Liposuction

+1

While both techniques (when performed by a highly competent surgeon) have their advantages, traditional liposuction remains the gold standard in most plastic surgery practices.  

Smart Lipo uses a laser to help break up the fat which is then 'suctioned' out through a small instrument.  The results can be very good if the surgeon is experienced with this technique.  Traditional liposuction uses a cannula (instrument used to suction out the fat) and large volumes of fluid to break up the fat and also to remove it through a suction mechanism.  With this technique, the results are also highly dependent on the surgeon performing the procedure.

BOTTOM LINE:  Both Traditional Liposuction and Smart Lipo can achieve excellent results.  The most important factors are proper patient selection and the ability of the surgeon to use the particular technique.

Louis DeLuca, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and technique

+1

I personally am not enamored by the Laser lipolysis devices (i.e Smartlipo).  But I will say that it is not the wand but the magician waving the wand that creates the magic.  In other words, a good surgeon can get good results with a machine he/she is comfortable with.

When You Want Cheap Liposuction With Equally Cheap Results, Go With Laser Lipo.

+1

Laser liposuction has earned such a bad reputation because of many patients needing to get their poor results fixed, therefore it is one of the cheapest lipo techniques and mainly seen in shady chain lipo clinics or with inexperienced docs. To be fair, anyone can be proficient at a particular technique of liposuction if doing enough cases and with good technique. I also consider traditional liposuction as outdated with less than good results since it is usually done under gen. anesthesia with the old larger canulas which give more waviness and dimpling. What I consider as the gold standard is the tumescent technique liposuction under local anesthesia with the smaller micro canulas which I feel gives unmatched superior results but is more expensive and so worth it. Patients are able to stand up and turn in all positions during the comfortable procedure to help allow me to give the smoothest results. They are back to work in only 2 days and up walking right away. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction, so many choices, which is smart?

+1

It is hard for a prospective patient to make a decision about body contouring with liposuction. Traditional liposuction is the gold standard still. A lot of companies aggressively promote their machines, including lasers, ultrasound, freezing, non invasive fat melting, etc. As a board certified plastic surgeon in private practice, I used most of these. Remember, these are tools in a plastic surgeon's tool box. The biggest tool is between the surgeon's ears, and this decides what to use to give you the best results. These tools are advantageous if one wants to go beyond just liposuction. If you are considering having a chiseled body and muscle definition, then some of these tools are advantageous and help the surgeon achieve those results. By the way, Smartlipo is very slow in melting fat, it is better in skin tightening. Good luck in your search.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon