Lipo Vs. Tummy Tuck?

I'm 37, 5'2 120lbs., I'm happy with my size and I do work out. My stomache has extra fat and I'm not sure if I would benefit from lipo alone or if I would need a tummy tuck with lipo to achieve the results I'm after. My stomache is very round and I'm a petite person. I feel when I'm wearing a dress I look 3 months pregnant. Lipo would be my preferred choice also I've had 2 children by csection. Thank you in advance.

Lipo Vs. Tummy Tuck

+1

You mentioned your primary concern as excess fat which may be able to be addressed by liposuction. If you have excess skin as well, then a tummy tuck would be beneficial. To explore your options, consult in person with 3 - 4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons.

Lipo Vs. Tummy Tuck

+1

A standard tummy tuck is a procedure in which excess skin is removed from the abdomen  and the abdominal muscles are tightened. If your concer is excess fat and not excess skin and you have good quality skin you may be able to get away with just getting liposuction performed.

Scott Loessin, MD
Key West Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck or lipo

+1

A visit to a Board Certified plastic surgeon may better answer your question.  If you have excess or stretched out skin, you most likely should consider a tummy tuck which removes excess skin, fat, and also will tighten the tummy wall.  Liposuction only thins out the fatty layer of the abdomen.  No skin is removed in this procedure.  After an examination and discussion, a plastic surgeon should be able to help determine which procedure is more in line with your goals.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck is probably what you need

+1

your tissues have been stretched with pregnancy and the roundness that you are bothered by is most likely at least partially due to rectus diastasis (the splaying apart of the rectus muscles after pregnancy).  Liposuction can thin the fat layer but WILL NOT fix this problem.  My guess is that if you want a faster recovery and some improvement, liposuction can give you some improvement, but to get the best overall result and give you a flat stomach you will have to have a full abdominoplasty (tummy tuck).  I would not consider a mini tummy tuck because this does not allow full plication of the abdominal wall and the upper abdomen can be left with a bulge.

James F. Boynton, MD

Liposuction and Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

You will probably get the best results with a mini tummy tuck where you can actually use the existing C-Section scar to do a tummy tuck on the lower half of the stomach.  You can combine this with liposuction on the upper half of the stomach to achieve your desired results.  A mini tummy tuck is also somewhat less invasive than the full procedure.  

Norman M. Rowe, MD

Lipo versus Tummy Tuck

+1

It is not possible to answer your question without photographs. Liposuction removes fat a tummy tuck removes skin and fat . If your problem includes skin excess you may need an abdominoplasty to optimize your final result.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Lipo vs. Tummy Tuck?

+1

Liposuction s great if the only problem is some excess fat and mild skin laxity. A tummy tuck is best when there is abdominal muscle laxity (lower abdominal bulge or fullness), stretch marks, and excess skin. A tummy tuck is almost always a better option for correction of the abdominal contour after pregnancy. From your description, it seems you will do best with a tummy tuck.

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck vs Liposuction of the Abdomen

+1

Liposuction of the abdomen removes excess fat but does not tighten the skin.  A mini-abdominoplasty only tightens the lower abdominal skin and leaves an incision slightly longer than a C-section scar.  Liposuction can be performed with a mini-abdominoplasty.  A standard abdominoplasty removes loose skin and tightens the abdominal wall but is associated with a large incision along the lower abdominal wall.  It is always best to lose weight first because each surgical procedure would result in a more ideal result.  In response to your question, without initial weight loss, liposuction alone would most likely result in a significant amount of skin laxity or contour irregularity especially if you have stretch marks or loose skin.

Elizabeth S. Harris, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Sounds more like a tummy tuck for you

+1

At your height and weight, you are seemingly in good shape so if you look 3 months pregnant and have had 2 kids already, there is probably alot of muscle laxity and only a TT will help that.  Visit some excellent plastic surgeons and see what they think.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Liposuction or a tummy tuck

+1

The truth is we just can't tell without more information. If your abdomen has good tone and good skin elasticity the liposuction is right for you. Significant muscle laxity or skin laxity will make a tummy tuck the better choice.