I Had Lipo to Upper/lower Abs, Dr Put in 220L & Took out 2800L What Does That Mean

I had lipo on Monday 8/29/11 to upper/lower abdomen. I was told by the nurse the dr put in 2200L and took out 2800L what does that mean in terms of fat/lbs removed from that area. Only the abs were done nothing else

Liposuction volumes

+2

Probably the doctor injected a local anesthesia solution of 2,200 cc (approximately the size of a two liter bottle of soda), and then removed 2,800cc of aspirate (primarily fat) from the abdomen.  That is likely to be a substantial reduction in the amount of fat on your abdomen.

+2

Both previous expert posters are correct. In simple terms you had 2.2 liters infused and 2.8 liters removed. You will initially have weight increase but over the next few weeks you SHOULD see a decrease. 

Questions regarding tumescent fluid infusion and fat removal in liposuction

+2

This information by itself is not extremely useful except to indicate that a considerable amount of fat needed to be removed and, in fact, was. You had infusion of 2.2 liters of tumescent fluid and removal of 2.8 liters of fat and fluid. This does not tell you how much of that was fat nor does it predict your postsurgical weight.

The bottom line is the appearance of your abdomen once the swelling subsides. 

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Can You Calculate the Amount of Fat Removed by Liposuction?

+2

Dear LA7783,

One liter is equivalent to 2.2 lbs.  You  can calculate the weight  of the fluid your surgeon put in and the liposuction material that was removed, but neither number will tell you how many pounds of fat you will have lost or what your final result will look like. The portion of fat that is in the aspirate ( removed material) varies widely  so there is no formula to calculate the amount of fat removed from you.  Most people do not lose weight with liposuction, though it may look like they have because of their improved shape.  It takes 3-6 months to see the full effect of your procedure, so be patient to see what will evolve.  Hope you like results!

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Liposuction

+1

You had tumescent liposuction with 2200 cc's of fluid infused and 2800 of fluid and fat removed.  I would not focus on the exact amount of fat removed per se, but the quality of the result.