Can I Get Lipo or Tummy Tuck? Crohn's, Hernia; Am I a Candidate?

I have crohns and had a Resection after which i had a hernia repair due to the surgery. My stomach looked bloated when i question the doctor he said it was swollen and would eventually go away. Well 5 years later it has not. No matter how much weight I loose i cannot get rid of the ring around my belly.I went back to the doctor to question this was told by another doctor that my stomach muscle was cut. He said because of hernia mesh i cannot have plastic surgery. Is this true?

Tummy tuck, Crohns and hernia repair

+1

Yes it is certainly possible with the following caveat: A physical exam must be done to rule out a hernia or weakness in the abdominal wall. If there is a weakness in the wall it should be examined and fixed. It can be done at the time of the tummy tuck but will need to be done as an in patient. The type if mesh implanted is important. Skin and incisions have to be examined and health status has to be evaluated. This can go very smooth if all the bases are covered from a medical standpoint. Safety is number one.

Crohn's disease, abdominal mesh, and plastic surgery.

+1

The bigger questions here with a history of Crohn's disease and indwelling abdominal mesh are safety and complication risk. Fullness in the abdomen can be from multiple sources with a history of abdominal surgery, not least of which is mesh or abdominal wall laxity. The improvement may have more to do with the abdominal wall reconstruction than any liposuction or skin removal. I would recommend proceeding with caution in respects to a tummy tuck or liposuction until a full evaluation of the mesh and the abdominal wall is performed.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Bulge post surgery

+1

This bulge may be due to muscle laxity.This may be checked with an xray such as MRI or scan.The fact that you have mesh does not preclude you from having a tummy tuck.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Crohn's disease and abdominoplasty

+1
Step 1 would be to make sure that your medical doctors will clear you for surgery. If so, step 2 would be a diagnostic test such as an MRI to elucidate the current situation beyond the vague "hernia" or "mesh". Only then can a surgical plan be discussed. It sounds like you are more likely to benefit from a tummy tuck than simply liposuction but consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon would be required to detemrine this.

Lipo or Tummy Tuck?

+1

Liposuction is great for removing excess fat and improve the abdominal contour. It sounds like you have abdominal wall weakness or a hernia. In this case a hernia repair with tummy tuck might be the best procedure. Only a full consultation will determine the best procedure for you. See a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in complex hernia repairs. 

El Paso Plastic Surgeon