When is Lipo Used with Tummy Tuck

When is lipo used with a tummy tuck?

Liposuction and Tummy Tuck

+2

I almost always perform liposuction along with abdominoplasty.   This allows the patient to get a much improved waistline and contour instead of the boxed off look.  It can be performed safely in most cases when avoiding suction of the upper midsection. The result can go from just adequate to superior using the liposuction technique.

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty and the use of liposucton

+1

Many surgeons will combine abdominoplasty with additional contouring which can be achieved with , for example, liposuction.  Each case needs to be examined carefully, in particular as to where the liposuction is to be performed.  I often will combine hips (love handles) flanks, mons pubis liposuction with the traditional abdominoplasty.  One has to be careful with suctioning the abdominal flap especially superiorly and towards the middle because of affecting the blood supply to the abdominal flap, although some plastic surgeons are a little more aggresive with this.  You can directly cut off some  of the fat underneath the flap below a layer called "Scarpa's fascia" and this will enhance the appearance of the flap, but for more aggressive lipo of the abdomen, I prefer to stage the procedure and either liposuction before or after the abdominoplasty procedure. 

Jerry Lugger, MD

Liposuction with a tummy tuck equals a mommy makeover

+1

The key to any surgery is safety. If safety concerns are addressed combining lipo with a tuck offers patients superior results. Tucking alone gives some patients a cobra look. This is addressed by suctioning the sides so as to give the patient an hour glass shape. The advent of progressive tension abdominoplasty in selected patients along with minimal dissection have made the procedure superior to the tummy tuck of times gone by. I didn't listen to women when they said the drains were what hurt. When the newer surgery came out I resisted it for years. Now I get it; it hurts less, the scars are lower and they look better. After a baby, many women want it.

Ayman Hakki, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

When is liposuction done during a tummy tuck

+1

Liposuction of the flanks (love handles) is performed almost routinely during a tummy tuck by most plastic surgeons. This gives a nicer contour to the waistline and creates a better overall result. It's important to avoid liposuction of the upper/mid portion of the abdomen however as this may compromise the blood supply to the abdominal skin and cause wound healing problems.

A board certifed plastic surgeon can evaluate you and determine the role of liposuction (if any) during your tummy tuck procedure.

William Bruno, MD

Lipo Use With Tummy Tuck Varies

+1

The use of liposuction and the charges vary among different plastic surgeons.  I almost always perform liposuction of the adjacent flanks during a tummy tuck and do not charge an additional fee for this.  If a different area (thighs,etc.) is liposuctioned at the same time, I do charge for it at 50% of the usual rate.

John Whitt, MD

Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

+1

Liposuction can be used as an adjunct to a tummy tuck, to help tailor an adjacent area such as the flanks or supra pubic area, or to tailor the tummy tuck flap itself.  I often will liposuction the upper mid abdomen and flanks to help achieve a contoured look.   If the undermining of the tummy tuck flap is limited, it is possible to liposuction the superficial layer of fat over the entire abdomen.  However, with any tummy tuck procedure the blood supply to the abdominal skin temporarily is compromised.  A plastic surgeon must always assess the individual patient's anatomy to determine how much liposuction can be safely performed when doing an abdominoplasty, to avoid wound healing problems.  

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction with Tummy Tuck

+1

I use liposuction with tummy tuck surgery to treat those areas beyond the area treated with the abdominoplasty procedure for contouring and shaping specifically in the mons, hip and flank areas. If necessary for contouring of the anterior abdomen would recommend this be done as a staged procedure with tummy tuck procedure first and then liposuction second, in several months. The concern with combining the two procedures is with not injuring the blood supply to the anterior abdominal skin when it is so important for proper wound healing of the tummy tuck incision. Clearly the best plan for surgery can only be defined after a thorough and thoughtful consultation.

Leslie D. Kerluke, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and abdominoplasty go together like peas and carrots

+1

In my practice, over 90% of patients having an abdominoplasty also have liposuction.  Most patients have extra fat in the love handle areas and an abdominoplasty alone does not correct this problem.  The abdomen is flatter but leaving the love handles gives a squared appearance.  Years ago there was a concern that liposuction at the same time is dangerous.  However, this is not true, provided you are seeing an experienced plastic surgeon.  It is also important to treat the pubic area when necessary.  Otherwise it can look like a "package" that few women want to have.  Treating the upper abdomen and along the rib cage border helps to avoid a persistent roll in the upper abdomen that many patients complain about after an abdominoplasty alone or undertreatment with liposuction.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Essentially every time I do a tummy tuck I liposuction the abdomen and hips and mons

+1

With a newer technique which I have developed it is not only safe to perform liposuction on the abdominal flaps but it is actually safer. What I do is a technique I first learned from Dr. Pascal from Lyon, France. The areas to undergo liposuction are infiltrated with fluid and liposuction is performed in the deep fat layer below the superficial fascia. This preserves the nerves and blood vessels to the flap and allows it to be slid down and sutured to the muscle fascia below the umbilicus. This gives a much more defined abdomen and decreases the pain and increases the speed of recovery. One of the nicest things about this technique is that it makes it possible to do the surgery with out the need of a drain. I also increase the length of the incision to as far out as the operating table will allow me to go and this in turn gives a much more defined and tighter waist. It is also easier to put the incision much lower on abdomen so that it is easily covered by a relatively skimpy bikini. We have been using this technique for over 5 years with fantastic results. 

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD