Unbalanced Look After Tummy Tuck and Lipo

I had a tummy tuck with muscle repair and lipo of flanks 2 weeks ago.Under my ribs the flanks are slim but my lower Flanks (hips?) are huge, I look strange. What can I do? Did he not lipo enough? The area is soft and mushy also.

Three Months Recovery Needed To See Final Result

+1

With almost any elective aesthetic procedure that involves surgery, it takes at least three months to see the final results.  There is alot of swelling that occurs when someone undergoes a tummy tuck and liposuction, and this can lead to swollen areas, contour irregularities, etc.  Just be patient and give yourself adequate time to heal. At the three month mark, if you still think that things appear irregular, then that is the time to address it with your surgeon.  I hope this helps.

Barrington Plastic Surgeon

+1

A few issues. Your photo looks acceptable. Two weeks after a major cosmetic surgery to be this concerned is very early. If you where two months than you might have an issue. But 2 weeks is in general not being accepting of the body's need to heal, repair. Be patient. From MIAMI 

Results from tummy tuck / liposuction

+1

Two weeks after surgery is way to soon to get worried about results.  You still have significant swelling which will take awhile to completely resolve.  Also, thanks for providing the pictures.  However, when you wear underwear in the pictures it always constricts the fat and makes the lower flanks look more full that it really is without the underwear on.  With that said, I perform liposuction an 99% of my abdominoplasty / tummy tuck patients at the same time to help ensure a nice transition from the flanks to the hips.  Also, right after surgery, it is sometimes hard to get used to the new you.  So, it is not that there is anything wrong, it is just different that what you are used to seeing in the mirror.  I suggest keeping a picture of your pre-op photo around to look at to remember what you used to look like.

Good Luck

David Shafer, MD

Abdominoplasty Results

+1

Abdominoplasty is commonly performed in conjunction with liposuction of the flanks as these frequently have excess subcutaneous fatty tissue that should be removed. Two weeks, however, is far too soon to judge your results. One of the major issue for patients who undergo similar procedures is that their primary concern was their abdomen, and now that that area is corrected, the flanks or hips become more noticeable.  Communication is the key for patients and surgeons so that patients understand the course. No matter what, two weeks is too early to make any major decisions.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Post Surgical Results need time to show the results

+1

At this point, 2 weeks following abdominoplasty & liposuction, you can expect to have ongoing swelling and limited contraction of the skin in the treated areas.  The swelling will not be able to drain adequately as the entire lower abdominal wall flap has been cut and your body has not reestablished the lymphatic drainage yet.  My recommendation is to wear your abdominal garment ( I like Design Veronique as they have very uniform compression with an opening to go to the bathroom) as much as possible for 6 weeks to 3 months ( which ever your doctor recommends).  This will help to eliminate the dead space, reduce swelling and help the tissue to adhere down and contract uniformly.  You will see the worst of the best at 6 months.  The body lays down internal reactive tissue to help the healing and scarring of the operated areas in the 1st 6 weeks and then takes a break for 6 weeks, so between 3 months & 6 months you will see improvements in shape, decreased edema formation etc.  It takes a full year to see the final result.  I recommend you focus on eating lots of protein and let the tissue contract and try not to judge the  result or expect marked change for 3 months post op.  Your body takes time to induce the contraction of the tissue.  If you still feel that things are just not right at 8-12 months, consider revision with  your doctor.

Dr. Kimberley O'Sullivan

Kimberley O'Sullivan, MD
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

2 Weeks Post-op Too Early to Assess Results

+1

Two weeks following your tummy tuck and lipoplasty is way too early to assess your results.  There is probably a fair amount of edema or swelling still present at this time and this should resolve over the next several weeks.  If you are unhappy at that point, it should not be difficult to adjust things with a little additional lipo.

John Whitt, MD