If I Get Lipo Can I Ask the Doctor to Specifically Remove ONE Pound of Fat?

Is this too small? I'm already slim except for my large thighs. The reason I don't want to remove too much is because I'm afraid the fat will return somewhere else later on. I eat healthy and work out. If 5 lbs of fat were removed Those 5 lbs would end up returning on my butt as I already eat right at 1300 calories/day. To maintain that 5 lb loss I'd have to cut my calories to unhealthy level. If 1 lb were removed though I think I can lower my calories enough to maintain that fat loss.

Asking for specifically one pound of fat removal with liposuction.

+1

This is not a good policy to have.  Liposuction is a body contouring modality.  It is not a technique for weight loss.  Best to have a good conversation with a board certified plastic surgeon.  They will advise you what can be done in a safe setting.  Together, you will come up with a plan.

Web reference: http://www.jjrothmd.com/procedures/liposuction

1 lb of Fat Removal with Liposuction

+1

I would not think of liposuction as a weight loss procedure.  If you maintain your weight after liposuction, you will not experience the fat redistribution to which you are referring.

Liposuction Fat Removal Volume

+1

To ask your physician to remove exactly one pound would not be advisable. What you need to remember about liposuction is that it removes the adipose entirely. When you lose weight naturally, the adipocytes simply shrink, making them easily "refillable." Though I understand your thoughts about calculating calories, it isn't that cut and dry. Liposuction is for stubborn fat pockets that typically dont respond well to dieting anyway. It sounds like you're already quite thin, and you have to keep in mind that liposuction often doesn't result in any significant weight loss. Typically it is used more for sculpting than simply pound removal.

How much fat should liposuction remove

+1

I understand your worry - you don't want too much fat removed.

• Liposuction can't remove fat by weight - but by volume. The goal is to improve your shape.
  • You can ask your surgeon to not remove too much
  • You may not need much fat removed because you are slim. 
  • You eat very little - be sure to have your thyroid checked (TSH level) because usually at 1300 calories a day, there isn't much fat left!

Hope this helps! 

Weight change and liposuction

+1

Liposuction is a body contouring procedure and not a weight loss procedure.  Therefore, we determine results based on change in body circumference and not by how much weight is removed.  Requesting removal of only one pound of fat would be a very difficult and unrealistic goal to achieve.  Make sure you communicate your goals clearly to your surgeon as far as your desired shape and let him/her determine how much to remove.  Good luck!

Liposuction will not change the areas where you typically gain weight.

+1

When our patients come in, we discuss where the fat will be taken off.  As the surgery is in process, we remove the fat as we sculpt.  We honestly can estimate that for instance a pound, or two pounds, etc will probably be removed but it is not typical for a patient to come in and say remove only a pound of fat. 

Addressing your comment of not wanting fat to reappear in other areas....fat will reappear if you gain weight normally and will not reappear in random areas.  If you are prone to gain weight in a certain area, that will not change after liposuction. 

Trust your surgeon

+1

The answer is no.  This is an unreasonable request and no surgeon would agree.  Remember when you picked your surgeon, your pick a person who you trust to do the RIGHT THING.   Be sure your surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is a Fellow of the American College of surgeons....(FACS).  Be sure your surgeon has privileges at a major JCHS hospital  With these criteria met, just trust your surgeon to do the correct operation.    After surgery do not gain weigh and know and maintain your body fat %.  You will be fine.  My Best,  Dr C

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

+1

This is a common misconception. Liposuction has nothing to do with weight removal. It is a sculpting or shape changing procedure.No reputable surgeon would commit to removing an exact weight.

Liposuction results not measured by weight

+1

Liposuction is a body contouring procedure that removes excess fat from areas that are resistant to change with diet and exercise. What ever body fat you have after the procedure should distribute more evenly, but you may not notice a change in weight.

A pound of fat?

+1
Honestly, liposuction is a body contouring procedure and we don't measure success in ounces but in inches. A board certified plastic surgeon should be able to indicate, based on the amount of "pinch" you have in your thighs, how much suction should be performed and what the goals of the surgery should be. Don't think of liposuction as a weight loss alternative in terms of maintenance. If you eat 1300 calories per day, fat shouldn't return anywhere!