Can You Get Lipo on the Same Area or Does Fibrous, Scar Tissue Form After the First Time?

About a week post-op. I had liposuction done on my lower abdomen. I have alluded to this in other posts, but I am a little annoyed by how little my surgeon removed during surgery (200cc's). I made it very clear to him that I didn't want a conservative amount taken. I told him that I don't care about complications like uneven skin because I would look slim in clothes (I don't care what my stomach looks like naked). If he needs to do a second surgery will there be too much scar tissue to do it?

Liposuctioning the Same Area Again

+1

After removing 200 ccs there will be some scar tissue, but, if fat supply is adequate, then more can be liposuctioned.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Repeat liposuction

+1

Scar tissue of some degree does form after liposuction surgery. But this does not usually preclude a patient from having a second procedure completed on the same area. The question really is whether or not there is excess subcutaneous fat that can be removed with a second procedure. Remember, any excess fatty tissue that is behind your abdominal muscles can not be removed with a liposuction cannula. Also, you are only 1 week post op and you will certainly see a notable reduction in the swelling caused by the procedure over the next 3 months. I would wait before you make your final judgment about how satisfied you are with your results and before scheduling  any revisions. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Second Stage Abdominal Liposuction

+1

The first procedure has undoubtably caused some scar tissue in the area but that does not preclude a second liposuction procedure. If there is still fat there, it should still be productive and successful in further abdominal reduction.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Liposuction is harder the second time around

+1

You are correct in that there is scar tissue after liposuction that makes a second procedure a little more difficult to do. We find that more sedation or anesthesia is required, and often ultrasound or another more aggressive form of suctioning is needed to work through the stiffer tissue.

A previously treated area can be liposuctioned a second time but it is a harder procedure to perform.

+1

Revisional surgery is almost always harder than the original and liposuction is no exception.  Revisions are required occasionally with any surgery but the surgeons don't look forward to them.