Is It Possible to Have Lipo of the Abs & a Tummy Tuck?

Hello, I am interested in having a BBL along with a Tummy Tuck (I have excess loose skin). I read somewhere that some doctors will not lipo fat from the abs when a tummy tuck is being done at the same time. Is this true? If so, I have a problem with it because most of the fat on my body is harvested in my trunk region (like abs, waist) making it a problem for my BBL. Do you recommend that I have both procedures at different times?

Brazilian Butt Lift can be combined with Tummy Tuck

+5

In many circumstances, it is possible to combine these procedures.  You will need to consult with a plastic surgeon in order to determine if this is a good option for you.  Performing liposuction in the abdominal region with a tummy tuck does carry certain risks.  During a tummy tuck the lower abdominal skin is removed and the upper skin is loosened and stretched down to the pubic area.  We always worry about the blood supply to the skin that we stretch and performing liposuction in the area can decrease the blood flow.  Having said that, I frequently combine a tummy tuck with liposuction and BBL in my surgery center.  When combining surgeries, it is even more important to find a board-certified plastic surgeon who performs all the surgeries you are interested in - and has performed them together.  I also warn my patients that operating on the front and back of the body in one day can make recovery a little tricky since you should not lay or sit on your enhanced buttocks for the first two weeks.  Many of my patients have managed the first week or two using a maternity pillow to position themselves on their sides.

Lipoabdominoplasty makes tummy tuck and liposuction of abdomen safe and artistically beautiful

+2

The combination of liposuction and abdominoplasty has been made possible with the development of the procedure known as lipo-abdominoplasty.  The surgery involves suctioning the entire abdomen including the hard to manage upper abdomen and excision of the skin below the belly button (the latter as in the traditional tummy tuck).  The difference is that the upper tummy flap that gets pulled down is not elevated or separated from the normal circulation coming from the underlying muscles.  The separation of the muscles can be repaired as in a traditional tummy tuck using limited elevation. The addition of sculpting to the tummy can restore the natural "beautiful contour to your tummy.

Manuel M. Pena, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Lipo of the Abs & a Tummy Tuck?

+2

Many surgeons prefer not to do tummy tuck and fat grafting to the buttock at the same setting, the issue being post-op positioning.

After a TT, almost all patients will have to sleep on their back--the closure may be too tight for any other position. After BBL, the worst position is on the back, where the buttocks will be compressed, interfering with the desired placement and take of the fat grafts. 

Some liposuctioning of the abdomen can be done safely at the time of TT, but usually not extensive harvesting of fat for grafting.

These issues will not be resolved on line--an in person consultation is necessary. When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank your for your question, best wishes.

Lipo and TT

+2

The issue is that some plastic surgeons are concerned about the blood supply to the abdominal flap if you combine liposuction with the abdominoplasty. Having said this the two can be combined safely in experienced hands. Be sure to see a board certified ps in your area who has experience with this. 

In short, the procedures you're asking about can be safely combined together. 

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C) 

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Tummy tuck and fat grafting to the buttocks with liposuction of the abdomen can be done at the same time.

+2

Thank you for the question.  The combination of tummy tuck and Brazilian buttock lift neither liposuction of the abdomen can be safely and effectively performed at the same time.  Make sure you are seeing a well qualified board certified plastic surgeon that can show you good before and after results.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Liposuction and Tummy Tuck

+2

Yes, the liposuction and tummy tuck procedures performed at the same time. In person consultation and exam would be required to determine if this is the appropriate choice for you. Consult with 3 - 4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to explore your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

TT and lypo abdomen may be performed by any certified plastic surgeon /si se pueden realizar ambasa la vez

+2

yes any certified plastic surgeon by ASAPS may easeally perform simoultaneously both procedures TT and lypo.

si cualquier cirujano plastico certificado por la ASAPS puede realizar  estos dos procedimientos lypo y TT simultaneamente con gran seguridad y facilidad

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Brazilian Butt Lift

+2

Depending on the fat distribution, you can have liposuction of the abdomen and tummy tuck. You can have a techique called LIPOABDOMINOPLASTY also. One can not be very aggressive with liposuction of the abdomen when doing a tummy tuck.

The rest of the fat for brazilian butt lift would come from the flanks, and back.

Then you can have liposuction of the abdomen, flanks, love handles and back, tummy tuck and Brazilian Butt Lift..