How Does One Know if Lipo is the Way to Go?

I have had 4 kids 4 c- sections. I believe I am at a point where I am to far gone (weight wise) . I have tried to no avail to lose weight and would very much like to have something done.

Weight loss vs surgery

+1

If you are overweight, liposuction is not the answer.  Diet and exercise are.  If you have a lot of loose skin then a tummy tuck is a better option.

There's only one way to loose weight, and that's loosing weight and not liposuction

+1

Let's start by just being honest, you mentioned right up front that you were "too far gone weight wise" you need to know that liposuction is basically never weight loss, and that means never, so maybe, and that's a hard choice, the best path, not just for how you look, but for your health, is eating right for life, and begin a weight loss program, and for your children help drop those increased weight risks of diabetes and heart disease. One thought along the way be sure and have your thyroid levels checked because a sluggish thyroid can really hold you back with weight loss.  There are no quick fixes for weight loss  , it's a really hard thing to do, so best of luck and know you are doing the right thing

Douglas J. Key, MD
Portland Dermatologic Surgeon

Is liposuction the way to go?

+1

Thank you for your question.  WIth a history of four children, excessive weight and no photos,  it is very difficult for this forum to determine the correct procedure for you.  Options could include liposuction or a tummy tuck. I would suggest that you seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who would review your history, examine you and explain your options.  Best of luck. 

Donald M. Brown, MD

Liposuction options

+1

Given the history that you have stated, it is more likely that a tummy tuck will give you better results. Liposuction will reduce fat under the skin and will not have a significant effect on loose, saggy skin or weakened abdominal muscles that are a result of pregnancy. A thorough examination from a board certified plastic surgeon will assist you in your treatment decision.

William Loutfy, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and weight loss.

+1

Liposuction is a form of body contouring SURGERY, as is a tummy tuck.  Generally liposuction is most appropriate in an individual with good skin and muscle tone with an area of excess fatty tissue that persists despite appropriate diet and exercise.  A tummy tuck may be more appropriate if excess, flabby stretched-out skin and decreased muscle tone is noted. Neither of these procedures are appropriate for weight loss or for generally obese patients.  Your best bet would be to consult a board-certified plastic surgeon experienced in body contouring plastic surgery.  

Stephen Delia, MD