Best Lipo Technique for 32 Year Old Male W/ Abdominal Fat?

I am 6'1 185 w/ disproportionate fat in my abdomen.I am having a hard time figuring out the best lipo technique for me – on criteria of medical safety, aesthetic results (no lumps), and least long-term swelling. Some docs advocate techniques that others put down (vaser, ultrasonic).Also, I had a bad reaction to lidocaine (in EMLA) used on my back in laser hair removal (was light headed, dizzy). Will this pose an issue for me w/ tumescent solution? I am not allergic. I was fine when less was used

Tumescent liposuction is the gold standard.

+2

HI.

I am sure you will do fine with tumescent liposuction and a skilful surgeon.   As pointed out by Dr.Brown, it is important to make sure that the excess fat is between the muscles and the skin (it usually is), because this is the only fat that can be removed with liposuction.

Best lipo technique?

+2

Thank you for your question.  This is an area that has a tremendous amount of hype for as of today there is no evidence that any technique is better than standard tumescent liposuction.  The most important aspect is the skill and experience of the surgeon.

The other factor you should consider is whether you are a candidate for liposuction at all.  Most men hold their abdominal fat in their gut beneath the muscular wall.   When I examine patients I have them lie flat and raise their legs tightening their abdominal wall muscles. If the majority of the fat is ABOVE the muscle then it can be suctioned if, however, the fat is BELOW the muscle wall then  you are not a candidate for liposuction.  You are going to have to loose the weight through nutrition and exercise. 

Donald M. Brown, MD

+1

If you want to avoid the lidocaine, then you need to have general anesthesia. As to swelling and lumps, and all the other things, I will be honest, it is more up to the surgeon who is wielding the cannula than the technology. Properly performed liposuction with proper size cannulas should yield a smooth result, no matter the technology used. I think claims that one is the gold standard over another is hype for the technique that person does. Also understand that the tumescent part of tumescent liposuction is not the liposuction technique, it is the anesthesia technique

Julio Garcia, MD

Best Lipo Technique for Male

+1

It is very hard to answer this question without photos or a consultation in person. The primary liposuction techniques are traditional, power-assisted and ultrasound-assisted. Any of those techniques will lead to great results. The outcome of your surgery depends less on the technique and more on how good of a candidate you are for liposuction: your health, skin quality, location of fat deposition. Those are more important factors.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Abdominal liposuction in a male

+1

IF you have excess fat between the skin and the muscle (subcutaneous fat), all you need is an excellent plastic surgeon with traditional lipo.  It is not the technology, but rather the surgeon who determines the result along with the quality of your skin.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Liposuction

+1

You will have a hard time because there is no best technique if you mean vaser vs. laser vs. power assisted etc. You could get the same result from 2 different surgeons using 2 different technologies. Therefore it is not a good idea to pay more or choose one surgeon over another just because of the use of one technology vs. another. Your reaction was likely due to the exposure to too much lidocaine rather than a reaction just to it being used.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Best Liposuction Technique?

+1

I do not think there is one technique of liposuction that works better than others;  like most things in plastic surgery,  the end results will depend on the surgeon more so than the technology used.

Make sure you are a good candidate for liposuction surgery ( isolated adipose tissue in the subcutaneous layer,  not intraperitoneal) and choose your plastic surgeon carefully.

Best lipo for men

+1

I always tell patients that ther are many good machines to perfrom liposuction. It is not the want bu tthe magician holding the wand that creates the magic.

Best Lipo Technique

+1

As the other consultants have told you, it's the hands and the brain attatched to the instrument more than the instrument. Most of what you hear is manufacturer driven to create consumer demand. But have you actually seen a doctor yet? Many men that want abdominal liposuction are not good candidates and end up spending money for an operation that is of little benefit. The only fat that can be removed by liposuction is that fat just under the skin. Most men carry their fat behind the muscle and we can't get that out. Pinch up a small amount of skin, about three inches wide. If your fingertips can feel each other through the skin there is no fat to be removed.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Best liposuction technique

+1

The fact of the matter is that one can get great results with pretty much all three of the most popular technologies (PALS, Vaser,Laser) and one can get mediocre or terrible results with them as well. The key is the surgeon. If a physician is hiding behind a piece of technology, get another opinion! Good luck!

Marcel Daniels, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon