Had Lipo on my Stomach This Morning, is It Supposed to Look Like This?

I had Liposuction this morning to get Tumescent Liposuction on my upper and lower abdomen. About 750cc were removed, I was always thin just had super stubborn fat in the abdomen. I thought it would look better after the procedure but it looks like I just had a baby. I was assured I'd have a flat stomach after this procedure. Am I jumping the gun or is something looking weird with my abdomen. To reiterate, these pictures are of me post-lipo fromtoday

Early appearance of abdomen after liposuction.

+3

An area that has been treated with liposuction will be swollen, bruised, and possible appear irregular on the first day of surgery.  You need not worry and best not even look with an analytic eye the same day or even week after surgery.  Be patient.  You look fine.  You should do well.  Express your concerns to your surgeon.  Part of a surgeons job is post operative support.   Good Luck

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

+2

Maybe swelling is a concept that your treating surgeon did not explain to you. YOU HAVE SWELLING! Better to call him today (Sunday) to discuss in detail, I would. 

Call your doctor

+2
You should call your doctor and ask about your concern. This too early and also we donot acess to your pre op pictures. You should be wearing the post op garmet to keep the swelling down.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Post-op lipo on abdomen

+2

Not knowing what you looked like pre-op, it is impossible to tell what is going on from the photos. Certainly it is way too soon to make judgments on your appearance. The only thing is determining if you have a complication like a hematoma. Pain is something patients feel with a hematoma unless you are still numb from the anesthesia. I would certianly communicate your concerns with your surgeon.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

PHOTOS: Had Lipo on my Stomach This Morning, is It Supposed to Look Like This?

+2

I would be concerned if my paitents started removing garments prior to their first post op visit which could contriubte to fluid collections or hematomas unless directed to do so by your surgeon. If you have ever seen a woman's abdoment hours after delivering a baby for 9 months you will have some idea of what it is like to remove 1-2 liters of fat from an abdomen that has been present for 20 years. Give it some time for your skin to contract.

One day

+1

For men fat tends to be stored in the intra-abdominal compartment. This is visceral fat and can not be liposuctioned. This visceral fat can only be lost by diet and exercise.   The risks for men are the same as for women.  The most common area men request liposuction is the lower abdomen and love handle areas.   If your skin is in good condition then liposuction is the correct procedure.  You can not judge the result of liposuction at one day.  In general you will be at 50% at 6 weeks and 80% at 3 months.  Continue to follow instructions from your plastic surgeon as far as wearing a compression garment.

I had lipo this morning, is this result normal?

+1

First of all, I'm going to assume you had your surgery done by a competent surgeon, who took care in the operating room, and that he / she did a reasonable job.

Significant swelling - which is temporary - is 100% expected after liposuction.  It may last several weeks before it finally settles down. In the meantime, it can make the contours look a little irregular, or strange, and the swollen areas may feel particularly firm. 

Then, it takes the skin some time to shrink down - about 4 - 6 months.  Surgeons don't even judge the final result until about 6 months after surgery....

Try not to be anxious, and put your compression garment back on. Call your surgeon if you are still concerned.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Bulge in lower abdomen following same day liposuction

+1

Were you suppose to remove your garment from your abdomen already? Was your procedure performed by a plastic surgeon or another type of physician? These are important questions.

Without knowing what you looked like before and without examination everything would be conjecture. This swelling could represent a fluid collection or even a hematoma though there is no bruising. You may want to figure out the answers from above and also call your doctor and discuss your present situation.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Liposuction

+1

its most likely swelling and It takes about 3 months to see results after liposuction, but without preop pictures there is no way to tell for sure, so follow up with you surgeon and voice your concern.

I also recommend wearing the abdominal garment for 3 weeks after surgery to help minimize swelling

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Liposuction swelling is guaranteed after surgery

+1

If you didn't have swelling it wouldn't be normal. Time and compression garments are needed after liposuction to facilitate the reduction of the swelling more quickly.  The swelling will move down by gravity and can cause a very swollen and bruised scrotum in the next couple of days; again this is normal. Howvever, you should be asking your surgeon for reassurance to ensure that everything is fine as doctors across the internet are not examining you!

Ronald Shelton, MD