Does a Certain Lipo (Smartlipo, Tickle Lipo, Tumercent, Etc.) Produce Better Results for Stomach Bulge?

I was wondering if a certain type of liposuction is recommended for certain areas of the body, specifically the abdomen?

For liposuction, the surgeon is much more important than the machine.

+3

Hi.

I happen to believe that tumescent liposuction has the best results and the best safety in all areas, but a good surgeon will get good results with other devices.  Ask to see before and after pictures.

Do certain types of liposuction matter for certain body areas?

+2

It's not the arrow, it's the indian; and don't choose your indian based on the arrows. 

Grady B. Core, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

+2

Thank you for your question. There are certain devices and procedures that will work better on different areas of the body and for certain conditions.  Often, during a procedure,  I will use several systems on different areas to achieve the best result for the patient.  Some will leave you with less downtime, which may be advantageous for you.  You must have a full consultation with a plastic surgeon to decide what devices and procedures are right for you.

Dr. M

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

+1

I have used virtually everything for liposuction, but it is always the surgeon who gets the result.  The best advice is to throw all of the liposuction names out of the window and focus on what you see in the before and after galleries.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Liposuction technique and belly bulge

+1

All of these variations are techniques to get you to a goal.  The most important variable, however, is surgical skill.  Find a plastic surgeon with whom you are comfortable, who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is experienced in performing liposuctions. Also, please let me note that liposuction removes excess fat and is designed for body contouring purposes; if you have a bulge, you may well be a candidate for abdominoplasty.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Do Liposuction Technique and Device Matter?

+1

This is a good question as plastic surgeons continue to debate this very same issue. Each individual surgeon will favor one or more techniques over others, because in his or her hands, the results are superior. Much depends on the surgeon's skill and experience rather than the tool held in the hand. There are certain devices that may have a small advantage for certain areas. Cost may be a factor as well.

Gus Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Does the Type of Liposuction Matter?

+1

In most cases, the type of liposuction (traditional, laser, ultrasound, VASER, power, water) does NOT matter. In cases of revision or certain "tough" body areas, the ultrasound and VASER may give somewhat better results.

While there are many opinions on this, and some companies have done a great job in marketing the superiority of one liposuction machine over another, there are a nearly complete lack of well done medical studies comparing these devices to each other. 

Having tried most of these liposuction options personally, there are advantages to the surgeon in terms of ease of use, but rarely is there an advantage to the patient. Some of these can cause more damage (particularly laser and ultrasound liposuction) to a patient when used by less experienced surgeons. 

Most experienced plastic surgeons may agree that it is not the liposuction machine, but rather the liposuction surgeon, that makes a difference in the final outcome.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Different Liposuction Techniques

+1

Good question.

I have had SmartLipo, VaserLipo, and PowerAssistedLipo (PAL) in my practice over the years. There are certain areas and conditions that might make one form of liposuction better over the other, but seeking an experienced plastic surgeon  is much more important than trying to sort out the various technologies on your own.

My opinion is that there is far too much marketing aimed at patients promoting these various techniques, and we all know that marketing can be misleading.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS