Is Lipo or Smart Lipo Good for Me?

I am 20 years old looking to perform lipo or smart lipo. Am more interested in smart lipo but i have sensitive skin and i dont heal really good. I am scared that asfter i do it i stay with scars. Which prosedure is best for me

Laser NIL liposuction is best option

+1

I've performed Lipo for many years and have used all the technology out there. There is no doubt in my mind that laser assisted power assisted Lipo is the best was to go. Of course, you must find a plastic surgeon is experienced and able to show and before after photos to allow you to feel comfortable. Come visit. You might be a good candidate for fat transfer to the breasts as well. Inquire. 

Smartlipo vs. Liposuction

+1

Liposuction is used for patients at their ideal weight to contour areas of fat which will not go away with weight loss. Both smartlipo and liposuction can can remove these fat deposits. Smartlipo tends to have less down time with less bruising and swelling.

Is Lipo or Smart Lipo Good for Me?

+1

Without photos and description of the areas you are thinking about, it si hard to answer your question in a way that is useful. 

More important than the instrumentation is the surgeon. In general you are better off seeing a surgeon whose armamentarium is not limited to liposuction, since that may not be the best option, but may be the only option offered by a non-plastic surgeon.

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

The Skill Of Your Surgeon Is More Important Than Liposuction Technique

+1

Like any surgery, liposuction will leave scars but depending on what area you'll have treated, they can be hidden in a very inconspicuous place. However, if you have a history of abnormal scarring then it's totally understandable to be concerned about it regardless of how hidden they are. Liposuction of any method, whether it's Smartlipo, Ultrasonic, or even just tumescent, can all achieve fantastic results. You should look more at the surgeon who's performing the procedure rather than the method, because that's what counts more. A skilled surgeon will be able to hide your scars well and keep them to a minimum. They'll also provide you with a complete set of pre and post surgical care instructions to help you prepare your body for surgery and take care of your incisions afterward. Following these instructions closely will minimize the appearance of your scars. There are also a few products available that can help with scarring. After your incisions have healed adequately and your surgeon gives you the go ahead, you can start using things like Dermatix or silicone sheeting. These have the ability to reduce the discolouration and texture of scarring. You should also remember to keep any incisions/scars out of the sun, as UV can make them more visible.

Type of Liposuction

+1

When done by someone who knows what they are doing, there is no difference in the results or scarring of "lipo" or Smart Lipo or any other liposuction method. The thing to look at is the experience of the surgeon, whether he or she is a surgeon or just started doing these procedures, how many and for how long they have done liposuction, whether they can offer other options, and what are their results and redo rates. Many people are doing liposuction with only minimal training because they think this is a simple procedure, which it is not. This is one procedure where the old adage "buyer beware" is exceptionally true.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction or smart lipo

+1

Thank you for your question.  Ether method would work just fine for you.  Smart lipo is touted by those that own the machines to have some advantages over regular lipo however the jury is still out as to whether there is any real advantage.   What is much more important is to have a fully qualified and experienced surgeon  perform your surgery.  You should seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.  Best of luck.

Neck lipos often do better without the laser.

+1

Liposuction of the neck/jawline does great with the micro canulas under local anesthesia for roughly $2500 on special. Lasers can cause dimpling, puckering, skin burns and discolorations. It does not happen very often but you would never want to take the risk especially on your face or neck. Sincerely, David Hansen,MD

Web reference: http://www.TheBestLipoDoc.com/lipo.asp

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

The most important component is the hand holding the liposuction instrument.

+1

There is a saying among plastic surgeons that the most important component of the procedure is not the liposuction device but the hand holding it.  Just like a carpenter using tools.  You don't select a carpenter based on what type of hammer he prefers.  "SmartLipo" uses a laser beam as part of the procedure.  The problem is that lasers have not been shown to be truly advantageous when performing liposuction.  The consumer has to be careful; there is quite a bit of marketing that goes on in cosmetic surgery and claims about improved results are often just that - claims.  You are better advised to seek out an experienced plastic surgeon with a heavy emphasis on body contouring surgery in his or her practice.  Insist on viewing before and after photos.  I have a "rule of 10."  If you see 10 sets of before and after photos that you would accept, that is a very good sign that you will be satisfied with your choice.  I've attached a link to this section of my website.

Web reference: http://www.swansoncenter.com/content/ideal-body/procedures/liposuction/patient-photographs.asp

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Lipo or Smart Lipo

+1

Either can be effective.  The main component to any liposuction is the removal of fat through a cannula.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.