How Much Lipo is Safe with a Mommy Makeover Consisting of FTT & BL?

Safe Liposuction Volume At One Time?

+1

It would appear that you Real Self consultants, myself included, feel that 5000 ccs of liposuction aspirate at one time is the maximum safe volume.  Having said that, your surgeon needs to consider the amount of blood loss in your tummy tuck and in your breast lift.  There are numerous other factors that need to be considered including your height, weight, age, health, hemaglobin, etc.  Inter-operatively, your plastic surgeon will vary the amount of safe lipoaspirate based on amount of blood loss associated with your liposuction. 

Your question is a great question and one that should be posed to your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

How much is a safe liposuction

+1

There are several factors to to consider before giving a magic number. The duration of surgery, general health of the patient and number of procedures performed. Ultimately, you want to have a good surgery, recover without complications. It also depend on the patient body habitus, type of lipo technique,( superset, to tumescent). 

In general, up to 5 liters of lipo is considered safe in an average built individual. 

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

How much liposuction can be safely combined with a mommy makeover?

+1

Every plastic surgeon has his/her own appetite for risk.  Mine is very small.  I generally would separate a full tummy tuck and breast lift into separate procedures separated by a couple to several days both without general anesthesia.  Having the luxury of a certified in office OR makes extra trips to the OR less expensive for the patient.

At the time of the tummy tuck conservative upper abdominal liposuction and upper hip liposuction may be indicated.  Although this is fine in most patients, in a large patient with a high BMI I may choose to perform the liposuction as a separate staged procedure as well.

The goal is to minimize the risk of DVT and PE, the most feared complication from  mommy makeover surgery.  To this end I have had a lot of success with this strategy.

There is certainly nothing wrong with combining the procedures but the risks are a little higher.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

How much is Liposuction can be done in one setting?

+1

This is a great question and dependent on lots of factors. For instance, patient size (BMI) , combination of other procedures, whether it is an inpatient or outpatient procedure. Make sure your liposuction is done by a board certified plastic surgeon, who has a great track record of safe procedures and in an accredited facility. The accepted amount for a person that is 70 kgs done in an outpatient setting is 5 liters of lipoaspirate. Good luck!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

How much lipo is safe?

+1

I agree with the other docs that there is not a magic "safe" amount of liposuction that can be removed. It depends on the size and shape of the patient. It also depends on the type of other procedures which are being done. I am not sure what you mean by BL. I am assuming this is Butt Lift - which can mean different things to different docs and patients. Many refer to the Brazilian Butt Lift as a real lift. This actually is not a true "lift" but is a way to "fill up" the buttocks with fat. This is different than a surgical butt lift where the tissues are separated and moved. To get to the point - in the Brazilian Butt Lift, a considerable amount of liposuction has to be done in order to get enough fat to fill the butt and have a successful result. So by definition, if this is the type of "BL" you are going to get, you are going to get a good amount of liposuction. Other issues have to do more with the safety and care of your surgeon. If you find a well qualified surgeon with a good reputation you shouldn't have to worry much about this part.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Liposuction Safe with Mommy Makeover?

+1

There is no generally accepted specific volume of “safe liposuction" that can be performed when multiple procedures are being performed.  In other words, every patient is different and ultimately a surgeon must use good judgment and make sure that safety is maintained as the first priority.

Of course, this puts the burden of surgeon selection on the patient;  choosing a plastic surgeon with an emphasis on safety record  and ability to produce the desired outcome will be of primary importance.

How Much Lipo is Safe with a Mommy Makeover?

+1

The real answer depends on you. Your overall size/weight/BMI. Your surgical needs- muscle tightening or not, breast size/shape/symmetry and goals. Do you "need" implants?  And where you have it done. Refuse any surgery offered to be done outside a fully accredited (by AAAASF, JC or AAAHC) Surgery center or hospital. Don't push it. Remember the first word here...Mommy. Best of luck to you. A little lipo here and there is often ok at the same time as a MM, but don't push it. 

James E. Chappell, MD

How much is too much when it comes to cosmetic surgery??

+1

In the case of a MM, the major risk involved is blood clots in the veins (DVT) which can dislodge and go to the lungs (PE) and be potentially fatal.  This is rare but it is a greater risk if you are not walking after surgery.  Consequently, my personla opinion is that it is not wise to do liposuction on the legs (anything below the waist) at the same time as a MM because it might make you less mobile.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Mommy makeover

+1

The amount  fat removed in liposuction would vary on the facility where the liposuction is done and the experience of the surgeon. In general up to 5000 cc in an out patient surgical facility. The facility need to be accredited. In a Hospital setting larger amounts can be taken. The amount of fluid used, the urine output needs to be monitored and an overnight stay in the hospital for very largr volumes.

Remember liposuction is for body contouring and not a replacement for weight loss, diet and excercise.