Which Lipo Procedure Removes Large Amounts of Fat from Back Rolls and Doggy Ears?

Liposuction of Back Rolls and Dog Ears

+1

Liposuction can help with the back rolls and dog ears, but the dog ears may need skin revision as well.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Liposuction for Excess Fat

+1

Thank you for your question. Vaser lipo is recommended to remove excess fat, especially from back fat which is usually dense.  Be certain to be under the supervision of a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in body contouring for the best and safest results.  I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Back roll liposuction

+1
Liposuction can be performed using various methods but the key is surgical experience. Dogears resulting from surgical scarring are treated by revisional surgery which may or may not include liposuction.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Vertical liposuction (from shoulder blades to hips) works best for back rolls.

+1

Hi.

We use tumescent liposuction, but the most important thing for back rolls is the direction of movement of the cannula (tube). 

Going from the shoulders towards the buttocks (up and down) actually helps to get rid of the rolls.  Going from side to side just makes the rolls smaller.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Lipo for back and tough areas

+1

Any type of liposuction may work in these areas.  Some areas like the back are rather difficult to pass the suction device through and then, the fat tends to be hard to remove on top of that.

I have found that Laser Lipo (such as Lipotherme), or perhaps ultrasound lipo works very well and also helps with skin shrinkage as well.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Type of liposuction

+1

The answer to your question depends in a history and examination or at the very least pictures. Generally, different modalities are used to address different issues. I use the Laser (SmartLipo) for skin tightening, Ultrasound (VASER) for fibrous areas or scarring and PAL for sculpting. I often combine modalities to achieve the best result. Most important thing is the sculpting surgeon and not the modality. You should look at pictures of similar patients with results that you wish to have. Best of luck. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Liposuction of the back rolls and dog ears

+1

All kinds of liposuction remove the fat from the back and dog ears however better results are seen with the tumescent solution followed by suction assisted liposuction SAL or Power assisted liposuction PAL because of the thick quality of the fat of the back. 

Smart or Laser lipo are not as effective and are not worth the added cost. 

Best of luck...

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Power assisted liposuction (PAL) tends to get the fat out of fibrous areas the best!

+1

The back rolls and areas of high scars such as "dog ears" from tummy tucks are some of the most fibrous fatty areas and need the PAL system to break through the fibrous tissue to get the fat out.  Lasers and ultrasound are totally useless against fibrous tissue fatty areas. The PAL system is like a jack hammer breaking up the fibrous scar tissue and allows the doc to do a thorough job rather than getting exhausted and giving up with leaving so much behind that it looks like nothing was done. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction is liposuction; the surgeon is the difference.

+1

Please understand that liposuction is liposuction.  The difference is the surgeon and the surgeons experience and not some  particular technological technique.  Liposculpture is just carefully done liposuction and I hope all liposuction is carefully done.  All liposuction in 2012 is a variant of tumescent liposuction which simply means a saline solution with epinephrine and possibly lidocaine is added to the tissues to minimize bleeding and pain.  As far as any particular technology associated with liposuction,  there is no proof any technique is better than simple small cannula liposuction.  Again its the surgeons experience.  A great surgeon can do great liposuction and get great results with any technology or lack thereof.  Yes, simple small cannula liposuction is as good as it gets.  For sure the companies making ultrasonic  and laser liposuction equipment would like to convince you it is worth spending thousands more for some technology nonsense but  it is not.  There have been other technology ideas of water liposuction and injection liposuction etc etc...the nonsense never ends.    Remember technology companies make billions;  they sell  you and your surgeon and others very expensive technology trinkets.   In other areas, the investment may make a difference, but not in liposuction.  Granted some ultrasonic techniques facilitate the procedure and make it easier ,especially for the surgeon.   Believe me there is absolutely no proof that laser or ultrasonic liposuction technology causes the skin to shrink even one iota.  No proof.  So it come down to the skill of the surgeon and that's the way it is.  If you ask the surgeon that just shelled out $350,000.00 for a piece of puffed up technology of course you will get a very different, and very hard sell, and very expensive answer.   I use Vaser technology which is ultrasound and certainly make it easier for me to do liposuction but again the end results are the same or similar to simple small cannula low technology but high skill liposuction.   So check out your surgeon.  Is you surgeon a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons? (FACS) Is your surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? (ABPS)  Does your surgeon have extensive liposuction experience and a willingness to prove it.  Does your surgeon have operating privileges  and admitting privileges at a major hospital to do liposuction?  Forget the silly technology.  It is not important.  Spend your time interviewing and selecting a truly capable surgeon.  Your life may depend on it.   My Best   Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and dog ears

+1

Liposuction can improve dog ears if the problem is just excess fat. If there is skin involved then excision may be necessary. The most common liposuction technique is the tumescent techniques. Although laser lipo is increasing in popularity. it still has very high complication rates.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon