Lipo Needed After a Tummy Tuck

I had a tummy tuck w/hernia repair, lipo on the flanks and a breast lift w/implant 4 months ago. Around 3 wks post op my incision opened about 2 in. I am going in 10 days to have a scar & belly button revision. There is a small "bulge" above my belly button that my surgeon recommends having lipo on. Is it common to need lipo after a tummy tuck? What should I expect with lipo on the upper stomach?

Lipo of upper stomach

+2

It is not a common issue, but can happen. The problem is usually seen before surgery. Some attempts can be made to reduce it during the tummy tuck, but correction can be limited. Going in later is a better plan for patients who have this.

Is it common to need lipo after a tummy tuck?

+2

A Full or Standard Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) removes all excess tummy skin (usually all the skin between the belly button and the Mons pubis) as well as flattens the tummy and narrows the waist. However, depending on the woman's size and the technique of tummy tuck used, minimal to moderate liposuction is done to avoid injury to the blood supply of the tummy skin and avoid disastrous death of the skin. If you had a prominent component of fat of the upper abdomen prior to having the tummy tuck later (or staged in medicalese) liposuction could definitely improve on your results by further flattening the prominent upper abdomen.

Liposuction for tummy tuck revision is an acceptable option

+2

Yes, revision liposuction can sometimes be necessary. It is also possible that one of your muscle tightening sutures became loose. It is impossible to say  without having examined you. But yes, liposuction may be indicated to refine your contour. This is not out of the ordinary. If you need clarity before the surgery, return to your surgeon and ask further questions.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Liposuction after tummy tuck

+2

Sometimes liposuction is needed after a tummy tuck.  I usually mention it in advance to the patients I feel may need it. I do not like to liposuctiont the abdominal flap that is elevated during tummy tuck as the same time as the tummy tuck for fear of having healing problems.

It "depends"

+2

Liposuction of the upper abdomen is often carefully combined with "tummy tuck" (abdominoplasty).  If there is major fat localized at the upper abdomen it may not be possible to safely contour the area completely at the initial surgery due to concerns of blood supply to the tissues.  Therefore, it is not uncommon to go back later and improve the contour through further liposuction. 

Your "bulge" may be caused by one or more factors including localized residual fat, a collection of fluid from surgery that never absorbed and may have become firm,  or a partial disruption of the repair of your abdominal wall (diastasis recti).  Also, as you underwent a hernia repair, was the hernia at the belly button?  Could the bulge be the same hernia returning or another hernia?   

Your surgeon should have a pretty good idea of the most likely cause of the bulge by your operative history, postop course and current examination.  If the problem is a simple fat accumulation, liposuction is just the right treatment and should work well, but firm/scarred tissue would not repond well.  Clearly if there is any abdominal wall weakness or bulge,  liposuction would not only be ineffective but potentially dangerous.  The solution for that problem would be to open the area and repair the weakness.    

You should discuss these possibilities with your surgeon and be sure that all of your concerns and questions are addressed before surgery.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction after Tummy Tuck?

+2

Liposuction surgery after tummy tuck is not an unusual procedure.  Your plastic surgeon is in the best position to determine what the “bulge"  above your belly button is.  Generally, recovery after liposuction surgery is relatively pain-free,  specially after having undergone the tummy tuck operation.

Liposuction after Tummy Tuck

+2

It is not unusual to improve the results of a tummy tuck with liposuction on a delayed basis. There is almost always additional fat in the abdomen that can be removed and although some liposuction can be performed at the same time as the tummy tuck it is safer to do that once the tummy tuck has healed.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Lipo After Tummy Tuck

+2

It sounds like your surgeon is offering you some revisions that will make things look better. It is common to do so.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Lipo after tumy tuck

+1

Small corrections are not unusual. You are 4 months out so these type of corrections are safe to perform. 

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Lipo post tummy

+1

This should be easy to correct.It may be a little collection of fat or a small hernia.your doctor caneasily treat this.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon