Can I have lipo if my platelets are low?

Liposuction if platelets low

+1
  • Platelets are low for a reason.
  • First you need to see your regular doctor and probably a hematologist to determine why they are low.
  • If the reason is temporary (e.g. after a viral infection), give them time to return to normal.
  • If it is a new or un-diagnosed problem, the hematologist may need to see how your platelets function
  • Some people have low platelet counts but clot normally -
  • Others have higher counts, but platelets malfunction and they bleed.
  • You need adequate platelet function for surgery, including liposuction
  • You can have platelet transfusions for surgery - but this is expensive and may be ill-advised for a cosmetic procedure. Best wishes.

Would low platelets disqualify me for liposuction?

+1
In short, yes -- you should not have liposuction if your platelets are abnormally low (ie below the lowest level for the normal range).  

Obviously, you should first try to determine the cause of your low platelets.  Some people normally have a lower range of platelets -- and if there is no history of abnormal or excessive bruising or bleeding, then one could have liposuction.  On the other hand, if a hematologist determines that there is a cause for your low platelets, then that treatment should certainly take precedence over having liposuction.

Understand, when lipo is performed, there is some small damage to blood vessels -- that is why people have some bruises after lipo.  There are no large incisions through which the surgeon can stop any bleeding.  The only way bleeding stops is with the use of a post-op pressure garment and the patient's own ability to clot, which starts with adequate numbers of platelets.

Hope you understand.

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
NEw York City

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD

Low Platelets and Liposuction

+1
Get evaluated by a hematologist or internist for the reason your platelets are low.  If this is below the normal range, but there are no abnormalities, I would coordinate giving you platelets prior to surgery to amp your system.  The chance of bleeding from liposuction technologies these days is very minimal, but I would never allow a patient with low platelets without a workup to have elective surgery that has potential complications.  Get it taken care of first, bottom line.  I wish you the best of luck, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction with low platelets

+1
There is a difference between low within the normal range and low below the range.  If you are below the acceptable range, then I would recommend that you deal with your medical issues first, see a hematologist for treatment and delay liposuction until your platelets are within normal limits.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Low platelets and liposuction

+1
If the platelet count is below normal then you may not be a candidate for liposuction because of the risk of developing a hematoma.  

+1
Liie all other blood tests, there is a rnge of what is normal. If you are at the lower range, then surgery is probably not a problem, but if the platelet count is too low any surgery can be very dangerous. You need to discuss the specifics with your hematologist if you have one, otherwise with your regular doctor as well as with the plastic surgeon involved. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Lipo with low platelets

+1
Hello and thank you for your question.
It depends on how low your platelets are. There is some normal variation of platelet count that would be considered low. If you are outside the range of normal variation you should see a hematologist. Then I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to get more specific answers to your questions which can best be addressed after a thorough history and examination is performed.
Best of luck to you!

David Cangello, MD

Liposuction with Low Platelets

+1
If you have a low platelet count (how low is low?), you may need to consult with a hematologist. 
Do you bruise easily? Do you bleed for a long time when cut or have a dental procedure?
Do you take medications that affect your blood coagulation, platelets, or bleeding time?
Have you had other surgery without complication? Is your other blood work within normal limits?

If your bleeding time is normal and you have medical clearance, you would be able to have liposuction, despite a low platelet count. Hope this helps!

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

+1
     This would require more information to answer.  Being slightly above or below a platelet standardization range may not indicate anything other than statistical variance.   If there is a significant difference, you may need hematological evaluation.