I Had Lipo on my Love Handles 2months Ago & the Incision on my Back is Still Red & Slightly Indented-how to Heal Quick? (photo)

I wear my spanx everyday. I have been doing some exercises & I have a bad back so I have been using my electrical nerve stimulator(E-Stem) around the area. This helps with swelling & blood flow. However, the incision on my back is still red and indented. I don't want a scar there & I am not sure what to do to help. I take coconut oil, I put this natural tamanu oil & vitamin e oil on it as well as neosporin once every other day. I am more worried about the indentation than the color.Please help!

Scarring after Liposuction

+1

Increase your scar care frequency and consider using some medical grade scar creams.  Wound healing takes about 12 months or more to complete.  If you still don't like your scar, it can be cut out and re-closed (scar revision) by your surgeon in the office via a small procedure.

I Had Lipo on my Love Handles 2months Ago

+1

Incisions, including those for access for liposuction, go through a healing process. The incisions are in the maximum inflammatory phase at 6-8, and are most noticeable at that time. Then they gradually improve over the course of a year. The changes do not follow a fixed and predictable pattern. 

Scars are permanent. When they heal in an unfavorable way they usually can be revised and improved, but patience is best at this stage. All the best. 

Liposuction Scar at 2 Months

+1

The liposuction scars in most people will get better and better as the months go by.  You can expect improvement up to a year and beyond.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Liposuction Scars

+1

It is normal and expected to have a red scar after surgery. Scars can be the reddest 6-8 weeks after surgery and this is a normal phase of healing. It takes at least 1 year if not longer for the scar to fade to natural skin tones. Everyone heals differently and at different rates. Most liposuction scars end up inconspicuous over time.  Avoid tanning or sun exposure on the scars as that will prolong the redness.  Your best course of action is to be patient. Keeping the skin hydrated is beneficial and massage may help firm, raised scars. Scar revision may be considered after one year when your scar is mature if it remains depressed, but rest assured that the majority of liposuction scars do not require revision.

Hayley Brown, MD