Lipo Long Term Effect? (photo)

Hello, Has anyone out there followed up on patients that are one year of better into post op. Is it true that the fat comes back in places where it was never a problem before like neck, face, etc. I am sold on the TT but the Lipo is scaring me a bit. I would love to lose the fat around my waist/flank (never really had a little waist even at my smallest at 105 lbs). But I would sure not like it to appear on my face or neck or some wierd area.

Laser Lipo Long Term Effects

+2

Laser Liposuction has been done for over 5 years and when performed properly by an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, long term results have, in my personal experience been excellent.

Combining Laser Liposuction with a Tummy Tuck in your situation should give you the best result as the Laser Lipo alone will not adequately tighten the loose skin on your lower abdomen and flanks.

Lipo long term effect when performed at the same time as a tummy tuck

+2

Liposuction in conjunction with a tummy tuck is a good option for most patients.  If the sides of your torso need slimming, this is rarely achievable with a tummy tuck alone.  The proportional increase in other areas should be minimal.  I find most patients are very motivated after a tummy tuck to keep their form and combining liposuction  with the tummy tuck really allows more significant waist area contour changes. 

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

Fat Does Not Redistribute

+1
This is a very common misconception. After any type of lipo, you can still gain wait if you do not watch your diet and exercise. The best long term results from lipo are achieved by patients who keep their weight stable. Remember, liposuction is not a weight loss procedure it is a body contouring procedure.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Long Term Liposuction Effects

+1

The long term effects of liposuction have been studied and liposuction has been shown to be effective and long lasting  - well beyond one year.  That said, no surgical procedure can prevent an individual from gaining weight.  If one's caloric intake is greater than what they burn in exercise they will gain weight.  However,  this potential weight gain would be evenly distributed over the entire body and doesn't result in isolated pockets of fat on the face or neck.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon