Would You Recommend Lipo Along With A Full TT? (photo)

I posted a question previously whether to lipo or not with a full tummy tuck and I got very mixed replies, so I am adding other pictures that may show a better representation of my abdomen/flanks/back in jeans. Your input is greatly appreciated. Also...I do work out and am active. I am 5'8' and weigh 136 pounds. My muscles are separated due to an umbilical hernia. Thank you.

Liposuction with abdominoplasty vs. abdominoplasty alone

+2

Hello and thank you for your question and photos.  In my practice, I will usually advise patients who are wavering on this type of a decision to start with the tummy tuck, see how the results turn out, and if you still find yourself bothered by your hiprolls and flanks, you can always come back and get those areas treated down the line.  We are usually able to perform the post-abdominoplasty liposuction here in our office which helps to keep the costs down for our patients as well. I hope this helps! Good luck!

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of the hips with a tummy tuck

+2

The photos look like you would be an excellent candidate for an abdominoplasty.  The upper hip liposuction is certainly not necessary to achieve a fabulous result.  However, upper hip liposuction would further define your waist line and if this area is a bother to you now it will bother you more after the abdomen is flat.

Web reference: http://www.yorkyates.com

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Lipo with tummy

+2

Your photos indicate the need for a full tummy tuck (with repair of the muscles and umbilical hernia).  I often include lipo of the hip rolls (or flanks) to better accentuate the waist and eliminate the dreaded "muffin top".

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck with/without liposuction

+2

Given the history and photos, it appears that a tummy tuck would be an appropriate procedure. Liposuction of the hips may be helpful but an examination would be mandatory. Your clothes do obstruct the area.

You should be evaluated in person by one or more reputable board certified plastic surgeons in your area and then make a decision.

Web reference: http://www.turkeltaub.com

Liposuction bs. Tummy tuck

+2
What I see is a very well defined abdominal wall with some excess superficial fat and good skin tone. You may have a slight diastasis and an umbilical hernia, but I think that 85% of your goal can be acheived with liposuction alone. Fixing an umbilical hernia during a tummy tuck is not risk free. Liposuction without a tummy tuck can also be much more aggressive. I would do that and fix the hernia now. In the unlikely event that you still need a tummy tuck, it will be safer to each the abdomen and the umbilicus to do it 6 months later.
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Lipo with tummy tuck

+2

Most surgeons will add some lipo to the abdomen in order to get a better result. It needs to be carefully but can still be done. Additional lipo to your waist/low back area will help change your hold shape more. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgerybaltimore.com/html/procedures.html

Whether to add lipo to a TT.

+2

After a TT many patients have a fullness laterally where there was none before due to the bunching up of the tissues laterally when the TT incision is closed.  Liposuction of this area will bring your waist contour in line with your tummy contour and is a small addition to the TT surgery which pays big benefits.  It can be done safely and adds only a small amount of time.  Your plastic surgeon should use their best judgement in determining whether you would benefit from this.  Good luck.

Lipo with tummy tuck?

+2

You look to be in great shape, and from the pictures alone it is difficult to tell how much skin laxity (looseness) you really have. The problem with a full tummy tuck is that if you are not able to pull down enough skin you may end up with a higher incision, or a small "up and down" scar just above your pubis.

Instead, you may be a better candidate for a mini-tuck with lower abdominal muscle tightening and liposuction to improve the tone and contour of your entire abdomen.  Again, distinguishing between what surgery would be best for you is very dependent on your physical examination, which pictures can't provide. 

In general, you can have liposuction as an additional procedure to help with the results of either surgery (full or mini-tuck).  Hope this helps you make that final decision.

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck with liposuction

+2

I almost always do liposuction with and as part of  a tummy tuck. The patient and I are trying to achieve a certain result and in almost all cases addition of liposuction will help achieve that result, as long as we are not adding risk to the procedure. Liposuction and tummy tucks are body contouring procedures so they augment one another. Even fat injections are sometimes used to improve the contour results. Even the use of breast implants are suggested to give a better contour to the torso. (I had a patient who once came in for liposuction because her body had very little form. She didn't really have a fat abdomen just a flat chest. I did an augmentation on her and now she is in nice proportion)

So you need to loom at the whole picture and determine what results you want and what is needed to get there and what you are willing to do to get there.

Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Full Tummy Tuck With/Without Lipo

+2

Looking at your photos, you do not seem to have a great deal of fat in the flanks or in the back.  I am not sure that any aggressive lipo of these areas will benefit you.  I almost always do a bit of liposuction of the flanks at the time of a full tummy tuck (for which I do not not add an additional fee).