Why Wouldn't Lipo Be Done in Combo with TT? 48 Yrs 120 Lb Loss

Why Wouldn't Lipo Be Done in Combo with TT?  48 Yrs 120 Lb Loss

Weight loss, tummy tuck and liposuction

+1

Yes, these procedures can be combined but they may not be the best combination for you. Your surgeon may not have recommended it for you if it would place you at high risk of complications.

With a 120 lb weight loss, you may be a better candidate for a circumferential lower body lift than for a tummy tuck with liposuction.

I am speculating. It's hard to say with examining you or seeing a photo.

Discuss the ups and downs of possible options with your plastic surgeon and pick what is best for you. Just because something can be done, doesn't mean it should be done and doesn't mean it would work well for you.

Liposuction - at same time as Tummy Tuck?

+1

There are a few principles to discuss.  First, a tummy tuck after a significant weight loss is very different from a tummy tuck in the absence of that (ie, after pregnancies).  Second, liposuction, while an extremely effective procedure, can have potentially serious consequences when performed at the same time as a tummy tuck.  This has to do with the blood supply that is required to effect good wound healing with a tummy tuck (TT).  This applies to other procedures as well (facelifts, breast reductions) but those do not normally incorporate significant amount of lipo.   Doing lipo, even what appears to be a relatively small amount, in the regions that provide blood supply to the areas of the abdomen that have to heal during a TT can have dire consequences.   Plus, there is no way to know how much is too much; there's no "bell that goes off" when that point is achieved.  Additional factors, such as medical conditions, smoking, etc., complicate matters further.

So, to address your concerns, many surgeons remain conservative when it comes to combining lipo and a TT simultaneously.  You can always do more lipo later (maybe not what you want to hear, but it's something to consider), but that may be the genesis of what you're hearing.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,
Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com

Should Lipo be done when an Abdominoplasty is performed...?

+1

Typically Liposuction on the flanks is done when an abdominoplasty is being perfomed for better contouring.  Most patients require a little contouring to achieve the best results, however if you have had massive weight loss it is probable that primarily the skin needs to be removed.  It is not advisable to liposuction the abdomen heavily when doing a tummy tuck because the blood supply could be compromised and the tummy tuck skin may not heal as well.  I would contact a board certified plastic surgeon to see what you would be a candidate for.

Edison Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction can be safe with a tummy tuck.

+1

Liposuction is commonly performed with a tummy tuck, and in certain cases it is a key component of the procedure. The concern that you've heard about is in regards to a traditional tummy tuck approach. In the traditional procedure, the blood supply is divided in the central portion of the tummy tuck skin flap. This creates a situation where large areas of skin could necrose if this central segment of the skin flap is liposuctioned. However, more recent trends involve using liposuction prior to elevating the skin in order to free up the skin, debulk it, and preserve more of the perforating blood vessels. This "discontinous undermining" can also lead to improved sensation in the skin below the belly button, improved rates of healing, and lower rates of seroma. Flank liposuction (above the hips) is commonly performed in both types of tummy tucks and has a low complication rate.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Combining Liposuction and Tummy Tuck

+1

It is safe to perform certain area of liposuction during tummy tuck. Most board Certified Plastic Surgeons will not perform liposuction on the upper abdomen to minimize the risk of wound complication. I routinely perform liposuction of waist line during tummy tuck in my Atlanta practice. If you are considering tummy tuck and liposuction, make sure to consult a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.georgiaplastic.com/body-procedures-atlanta/tummy-tuck/

Combining Liposuction with Tummy Tuck

+1

As a general rule, when I perform a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) procedure, I do a modest amount of liposuction in the upper abdomen and waist.  I am extremely cautious though as I don't want anything to compromise the blood flow to the tummy tuck incision site.

If additional liposuction is wanted/needed, say for the thighs, I would absolutely stage those procedures.  I always put safety first. Adding procedures together does increase risks somewhat due to the fact surgical time is being increased.  With increased surgical time come more anesthesia and potential for blood clotting.

This is a personal decision and how I choose to run my practice.  Everyone has a different opinion on this matter.

+1

Really can not address this because not enough information was given to determine if you are a candidate for this combination of surgery. 

Liposuction as part of Tummy Tuck

+1

Hi there-

As you can see from the varied responses you have received, some surgeons are comfortable with a bit of lipo during your tummy tuck, and others are not...

What all responsible, Board Certified Plastic Surgeons should agree on, however, is that liposuction of the anterior abdomen (the flap) at the same time is a no-no, as it would compromise the blood supply and increase your risks of complications.

Web reference: http://www.MommyMakeoverOrlando.com

Can abdominoplasty be combined with liposuction?

+1
Some small liposuction can be performed with the tummy tuck. However, when aggressive undermining and plication of the abdominal muscles is required, too much liposuction in the same procedure can impact the blood supply to the abdominal flaps. It is definitely a balancing act. Your plastic surgeon should be able to tell you the extent to which some liposuction can safely be performed during the abdominoplasty or whether the entire liposuction should be deferred until after you have recovered from the tummy tuck.

LIposuction and tummy tuck

+1

I wil not liposuction the abdominal flap at the same time as a tummy tuck. I will liposuction other areas like the hips, thigs, arms, etc.  But I worry about the blood supply to the undermined abdominal flap and that is why I do not do it at the same time as the tummy tuck.