I had lipo and I have a deep indentation on my waist. Will it get better while I'm healing or is it permanent? (Photo)

I had lipo and I have a deep indentation on my waist. Will it get better while I'm healing or is it permanent?

+2
You do not state how far you are from the liposuction procedure. The depression seems like it was created by your compression garment creating a skin fold. Placing a piece of foam into the fold to splint it open, might help this get better, but only time will tell if you need surgical improvement. Stay close to your surgeon. Good luck.

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

+2
Based on your photo it looks like you are still quite swollen so I suspect that as the swelling improves and your skin retracts that this will improve. It is also important to ensure that your compression garment is fitting you properly, as any bunching or rolling up of the garment can contribute to permanent creasing due to scar formation. Make sure you are following your surgeons postoperative care instructions and following closely. You may want to make an appointment to have them check the fit of your garment.  Stay away from salty foods that can contribute to increased swelling, stay well hydrated, and consider lymphatic massage drainage if your surgeon recommends it.

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Need more information to make a judgment about a depression after liposuction.

+1
I see the issue that you were talking about but I don't know how long of the liposuction was. It looks as though there still swelling. If this is the case the area should improve as the swelling subsides.

Contour changes after lipopsuction

+1
There is not enough information to answer your question specifically.  The changes after liposuction are dramatic for the first 6-8 weeks then more subtle until 6 months post-op.  Discuss your case with your surgeon.

Michael B. Tantillo, MD

Dents after liposuction

+1
It appears as though you are still swollen, so I'm assuming your liposuction was recent.  Double-check how your compression garment fits, as that indention looks like one caused by the garment folding your skin.  Smooth the skin and reapply the garment. Or get a garment that doesn't roll or fold in that area.  And see your surgeon for concerns related to this:)

Carmen Kavali, MD

+1
Could be permanent. But I would need to be seen it in person to determine what is really going on in that area. 

Indentation After Liposuction

+1
Thanks for the picture. This may be from your garment and depending how long it has been there it may improve.  Please consult with your operating plastic surgeon.

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS, FACS

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Contour Deformities After Liposuction

+1
Indentations and areas of fullness are common after liposuction, but they often will correct over time. If the deformities are severe, additional procedures may be required. This would entail removing fat from the full areas and transferring them (with fat injection) to the depressed areas. I generally wait 3-6 months after a patients initial surgery with another doctor to correct the depressions and contour irregularities. I would speak to your plastic surgeon first to see if they are able and willing to cover the cost of part of the revision surgery. It appears that you have some scarring in the hip area and some changes in skin color. This can occur if too much heat (in cases of laser or ultrasound liposuction) was used. I would avoid using these treatments in a second corrective surgery.

Adam J. Oppenheimer, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon