Will Lipo Give Me a Smoother and Tighter Belly Even if I Have Stretch Marks?

Skin tightening after liposuction

+1
Laser liposuction can help tighten the skin a bit but mildly. It also depends on your skin elasticity - if it's good then you'll have better retraction. It's important to wear your compression garment and follow your surgeon's instructions to improve retraction. However, if you have stretchmarks and a lot of loose skin, then chances are you won't experience as much skin tightening as you'd like.

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck is better to address stomach

+1
Liposuction can get rid of fat deposits in your mid section, however it may leave you with more visible loose skin (if you already have loose skin or your skin quality isn't so good). To address loose skin and excess fat, a tummy tuck would be better suited to address your concerns. Please see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon for a physical examination of your concerns, as it is difficult to provide a suitable treatment based on photos alone.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Stretch marks can limit liposuction results

+1

Liposuction only removes excess fat and, therefore, can reduce abdominal bulges due to fat alone. Liposuction does not tighten skin and stretch marks can limit how well the skin responds to fat removal.  It is hard to tell from your photograph how much excess fat is present and what the quality of your abdominal skin is. Both are important to evaluate as well as the quality of the abdominal muscles to determine whether you would respond better to liposuction or a mini-tummy tuck.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and Stretch Marks

+1

If you have significant stretch marks, it may be better to consider a tummy tuck that will remove the stretch marks at the cost of an incision line. Fraxel could also be an option to improve stretch marks, but lipo will certainly help tighten the belly area.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Stretch marks -- hit or miss with traditional lipo

+1

Stretch marks may or may not respond visibly to traditional lipo.  Laser assisted liposuction may have a better chance (but not a guarantee) at tigthening the skin to give the appearance of fewer and less intense stretch marks.

Navin K. Singh, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Stretched to the Limit

+1

In my opinion liposuction in an area of skin that has stretch marks results in skin that is not as tight.  Stretch marks represent a break in the dermis (area of collagen).  The dermis also undergoes some shrinkage after liposuction to help produce a tight look to the skin.  This does not occur with any sort of predictability in an area of stretch marks.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Liposuction and stretch marks

+1

Liposuction will not make the skin significantly tighter. The stretch marks may get better, worse, or no change... hard to say.

Liposuction and stretch marks on the abdomen

+1

I can answer your question only based on your photo, which does not have a lot of detail. If you have very wide stretch marks and your skin is loose or borderline, sometimes liposuction may make the stretch marks more visible.

My recommendation is to see a board certified plastic surgeon for a thorough examination. If you disagree with your surgeon's recommendations, there is nothing wrong with getting a second opinion.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

SlimLipo would give best results!

+1

I think you would get your best results with liposuction using the SlimLipo Laser-Assisted Liposuction device.  The fat is "melted" and smoothly aspirrated using one wavelength and the skin is tightened with the second wavelength.  We have found that stretchmarks respond also to the second wavelength - they fade and tighten as a result of treatment.

Marisa Lawrence, MD

A few stretch marks doesn't prevent you from having a good liposuction result.

+1

From your photo you appear to be a good candidate for liposuctioning and should do fine even with a few stretch marks.  Expect to pay about $5000 for the abdomen under tumescent local anesthesia and be back to work in about 2 days.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon