Lipo is not for weight loss, but why not remove my saddlebags to reduce hip pain so I can exercise for weight loss?

I have hip pain/arthritis that makes it difficult to walk. I have saddlebags that I KNOW are putting pressure on the hip joint - when I lift the saddlebag up I can walk more easily. I think that if I could just remove the saddlebags with liposuction, then this would take some pressure off the hips and it would give me a chance to move more and therefore take this weight off with exercise. I eat very healthy but without movement, the weight stays the same. I am a young 65 yr old female, 215 lbs

Liposuction when overweight

+1
I totally agree. I do my gentle wave body contouring to also help motivate someone to do more for their body. Once you can see a difference in one area, it becomes easier to go forward. It also may help you relieve your discomfort and I think that it is a great idea.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is not a weight-loss procedure but can psychologically trigger a boost that leads to weight loss

+1
. I'm not certain liposuction of your hips will improveThe condition of the joints. Nevertheless, many patients experience a psychological lift from liposuction which triggers further weight loss.

Liposuction

+1
There is no reason at all you should not have liposuction if you are otherwise healthy. But the skin may be quite lax and hanging and I would certainly never do the procedure with the idea of relieving hip pain, just with the idea of recontouring the area. But if you do get pain relief, so much the better.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Liposuction for hip impairment

+1
Thank you for your liposuction question.

• From your description, removing the bulk of tissue over your hip.
  • See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for evaluation as to whether liposuction or direction tissue removal might increase your hip mobility. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

+1
  This may be reasonable.  I would have to see you pictures or examine you.

Liposuction

+1
Yes, liposuction can be used for volume reduction which may change the mechanics of your hip joint, thus alleviating some of the pain.  However, you may have hip pain from other postural problems, and the arthritis and joint pain may not necessarily be improved after surgery.  It's hard to say without seeing pictures or you for an in-person consultation and exam.

Kyle Song, MD
Irvine Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction for Hip Pain

+1
A picture is needed to give an adequate opinion, but yes liposuction can be used to remove fat and contour your hips making it easier to get into pants and to exercise.  Join pains will not be improved from the liposuction procedures however.  Seek someone who is an expert at body contouring and not just fat removal.  I wish you the best of luck, Dr. Emer.

Lipo

+1
Thank you for your question and though an examination is needed one could certainly sculpt your saddle bags with liposuction

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon