Lipo for the Second Time After Weight Gain? (photo)

I had lipo on my lower back and abdomen and fat transfer to my butt about four years ago. A year after my procedure I developed hypothyroidism and gained twenty pounds. My lower back now looks deformed because I have a waist and under it two big lumps. To make matters worse, I teach yoga and when laying on the floor the lumps fell really painful. I want to ask how viable it is to have second time liposuction and what kind of results can I expect.

Liposuction after Weight Gain

+1

A second liposuction procedure after weight gain can improve the contours, but the painful nature of the lumps may or may not get better. Good luck.

Second-Time Liposuction

+1

Unfortunately what has happened to your buttocks area is why I rarely recommend fat transfer....it's an unpredictable and technically difficult process that can result in unwanted bumpiness. You are absolutely a candidate for a touch-up liposuction to help smooth things out. You may not be 100% satisfied, but it will definitely help return some symmetry and comfort. 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Secondary liposuction after weight gain

+1

Sure you can have liposuction to tune things up and make you more comfortable.  I suppose the very best advice is to get back to your old weight but if that does not work out, a tune up will work fine.   Find an experience doctor because secondary liposuction is a little more difficult than primary and results can be less predictable and in face less perfect.  See a surgeon that is FACS and certified by the ABPS.  My Best     Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Second Liposuction

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos. From the history and the photos you provided you are a good candidate for liposuction to remove the lumps in the back. However, the results of the surgery will depend on not just the amount of fat but also on the amount of scat tissue from your previous surgery. Best wishes.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Liposuction revision

+1

Gaining significant amounts of weight can cause redistribution issues when you gain the weight after liposuction. You may need revision to adjust these contour irregularities or lose weight.  Good luck. An exam would be critical to properly evaluate you.

Repeat Liposuction Candidate?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the  unfortunate development of hypothyroidism;  this condition can be quite frustrating when it comes to the issues that you have experienced.

Based on your photographs, and the fact that it seems that you are otherwise healthy and fit, you may be an excellent candidate for  repeat liposuction surgery.  Unfortunately,  it is not possible to predict or guarantee that your discomfort in the area will improve with the liposuction surgery.

When the time is right, seek in-person consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons. Ask  to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Second liposuction an option.

+1

It looks like your medical condition has cause you to gain some of the fat tissue in your lower back and hips. A second procedure is a good option for you, but it might be a little more challenging with traditional liposuction due to the scarring that formed after the first surgery. Consider a consultation with a plastic surgeon using power assisted liposuction. The power lipo will break up the scar tissue easier and remove the fat more efficiently. Best wishes. Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD