Had Lipo 5 Days Ago and Still Very Swollen?

I had lipo about 5 days ago and I am still extremly swollen. When I got out of the procedure my stomach looked amazing but 5 days later my stomach has poofed out to almost where it was orginally. Is this normal, and is this eventually going to go away to the way it looked after the surgery? I also have to use the restroom alot more than usual, is this the tumesacant fluid leaving my system?

Swelling after liposuction

+2

Severe swelling after liposuction is normal for up to 2-3 weeks. What you are describing sounds normal. Speak to your surgeon to be sure.

Swelling 5 days after Liposuction

+1

Swelling is near maximal at this early date.  I recommend compression garments 24/7 during the first few weeks to help with prevention of fluid collections.  Mobilization of fluid at this point leads to a lot of bathroom breaks.

Swelling after Lipo

+1

Your response is very typical, don't worry! Just make sure that you're walking around helping your body clear the fluid, and always wear your compression garment as directed. 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Swelling after lipo

+1

Your healing process seems to be very typical. Expect the swelling to continue to improve for about 3 months. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

5 days after liposuction

+1

It is quite common to have swelling after liposuction and this should get better with time. You will probably have to give it at least 4 -6  months.

Swelling after lipo

+1

The swelling after liposuction will take several weeks to resolve.  You will see a peak in the swelling during the first week, a pretty significant decrease in swelling over the next 2-3 weeks, and continued improvement in your contour over the next year.  It is also not uncommon to retain fluid after the initial stress of surgery which you will then diurese or pee off.  If you have any questions or concerns, I would definitely suggest that you speak with your surgeon.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Swelling After Liposuction

+1

Dear beachchica,

Swelling is very common after liposuction. You should discuss any and all concerns about your recovery with your surgeon.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Swelling after liposuction

+1
You are absolutely correct that running to the WC is because you are diurescing out the fluid. At five days postop, you are still very swollen but this is to be expected. It will take about 3-4 weeks for most of it to resolve and then there will continue to be gradual improvement over the following year.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Swelling after Liposuction

+1

After Liposuction, the swelling peaks a few days later. It takes about 3 weeks to see most the swelling resolve, 3 months for the healing to remodel and the results continue to improve for 6 to 12 months.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+1

Being swollen 5 days post-surgery is very normal. Swelling takes 6-9 months to completely subside. You should be wearing a second stage compression garment to help shape and mold your body.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS