Does Lipo of Chin/jowls Make the Face Look Thinner?

Hello wonderful doctors and thank you for your time! I am planning on having chin/jowls liposuction in three weeks. The single most reason I am doing the liposuction (at Sonobello) is because I would like my face to appear thinner. Does liposuction of the chin/jowls make the face thinner? My Consultant stated that the fat in the face is in the chin/jowls area due to the cheeks being mostly glands - is this true? Because to me, my cheeks look fatter than my jaw line? THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Will liposuction of the chin/jowls make the face appear thinner?

+1

Liposuction of the chin and jowl area will mainly help improve the appearance of your profile. It will not do much for the head on view. General weight loss and possibly buccal fat removal (depending on your needs) will help your face appear thinner. Photos would really be necessary to provide you with additional advice. If your cheeks appear to be fatter than your jaw line, then buccal fat removal may be an option. Thank you, and please feel free to ask any additional questions, I would be happy to answer them for you!

Liposuction of chin/jowls

+1

We never recommend liposuction in the face.  Fat atrophy is a part of the normal aging process and fat removal from anywhere in the face will accelerate that. 
There are 2 compartments of fat in the neck and are referred to as submental and subplatysmal fat.  The best alternative to simple liposuction is called a neck lift, it involves removing fat from both compartment in the neck.  Traditional liposuction in the neck will not remove the subplatysmal fat and can leave residual fullness in the neck if it is not addressed. 

We never recommend liposuction of the jowls.  A lower facelift is required to resuspend and adequately address jowls.  There are salivary glands in the face and neck that are not removed and must be left alone.   They would not be addressed with any fat removal of the face or neck.  It is best to have a consultation by a board certified facial plastic surgeon to get more information.

Does lipo of chin/jowls make the face look thinner?

+1

Yes, liposuction of the submental area and jowls will make your face look thinner. We call this liposculpture because we do just that, we sculpt you. This of course like any other surgery does have risks. You should ask Sonobello if they will be scheduling you for surgery with a facial plastic surgeon. There are nerves in your face that if injured can cause facial paralysis and this procedure has to be performed quite carefully. Good luck to you.

David Alessi, MD

Jowl liposuction and face thinning

+1

Lipsuction of the cheek sand jowls can make the face look thinner if the fullnees is due to fat deposits and not mainly due to the sagging one gets with age. The experience and  judgement of your surgeon is what counts.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon