Is Lipo Under the Chin and Above the Jaw Safe?

I'm in my early 30's, have always been slim but I have a double chin. Drs have commented on the lack of elasticity on my skin. One Dr says my heavy & thick skin sags faster, creating saggy jowls and double chin. One side of my face is fatter and sags more as well. One Dr suggested lipo, by making two incisions in front of the earlobe area and two incisions under the chin for subcutaneous fat. Drs all claim it's safe and easy. Are there complications or side-effects to consider?

It is safe but need to be careful with the facial nerve below jawline which controls corner of the mouth

+1

There is a branch of the facial nerve which hangs down below the jawline, like a hammock.  The function of this nerve is to control the movement of the corner of the mouth.  While lipo under the chin tends to stay well clear of this nerve, lipo of the jaw could put this nerve at risk for a temporary or even permanent loss of function.  When performed carefully and safely, liposuction performed in these areas is associated with a very small risk of injury to this nerve.

An alternative choice you may consider if you have limited skin elasticity, is chin augmentation with a chin implant.  Use of an implant may, in fact, create more pleasing facial contours, stretching the skin in the chin and neck areas so that the neck and jowl regions no longer appear saggy.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Liposuction

+1

Liposuction under the chin is safer than on the jowls/face area.  There is a nerve present in the jowl region so this is a procedure for Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or face/neck specialists.  This is a sensitive area where a mistake is not a good thing.  The face will look more sculpted.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Chin Liposuction

+1

Liposuction under the chin is a common procedure that can be performed in the office with you awake with local anesthesia.  However, it should be performed by a board certified facial plastic surgeon as knowledge of the anatomy in that area is paramount to avoiding potential complications.  Depending on how much fat is there, you could potentially have it done with just a small incision under the chin for lipsuction +/- incisions near your earlobe (which is more like a necklift).  This is a relatively safe procedure that yields excellent results.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Liposuction of the Chin

+1

Liposection is safe, and any risks are minimized when your procedure is performed by a board certified surgeon with a great deal of experience. I would really need to see photos and/or perform an examinaiton to provide you with advice on what procedure(s) would best suit your needs. Thank you, and I hope this helps answer your question.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Chin liposuction is one of the most rewarding procedures.

+1

Chin liposuction is one of the most rewarding procedures I perform. It is a very safe procedure provided you have it done under local ( tumescent) anesthesia. This avoids all of the risks of general anesthesia, and as the risks of tumescent anesthesia are dependent on the amount of anesthesia used, you are very safe as well. The chin area needs only a very low dose of the anesthesia. The risks that are inherent to the procedure itself are also minimal. There is a small chance of injuring the nerve that runs along the jawline and helps you smile. This occurs in only a tiny percentage of cases and is nearly always reversible. The biggest issue that comes up when I am consulting patients about this is the quality of their skin in the area - how much laxity is present and how much contraction or tightening of the skin we can expect after the procedure. At your age, I would expect excellent retraction. The exception to that rule would be if you had gained and lost a significant amount of weight (30 plus pounds dependent on your height) and compromised your skin by stretching it over and over again. While we as doctors should never minimize a surgical procedure, relative to many other procedures, chin liposuction is safe, easy and extraordinarily rewarding,

Jacqueline Calkin, MD
Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction of the chin and jowls is an art.

+1

Liposuction, or liposculpture, of the face and neck is a more delicate procedure than body liposuction procedures.  The procedure typically works well with minimal downtime and discomfort.  Some mild bruising and swelling can be expected.

Good elasticity in the skin is important for optimal results.  Be sure to see a surgeon experienced in treating the face and neck, such as a facial plastic surgeon.  All the best.

Jason Lichtenberger, MD
Bellingham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lipo

+1

There are possible complications from any surgery. In neck lipo it is possible to cause irregularities by taking more fat from one area as opposed to another, infections can occur, bruising can occur.

Most of the time this type of procedure goes well without problems.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Lipo suction of the lower face is safe.

+1

This is a procedure that can be comfortably done in a office procedure room setting under local anesthesia.  However, it is a sculpting procedure.  This puts a premium on sculpting skills.  Less is more with this procedure.  However, it does not sound like you need a facelift.  Consider reposting your question with actual photographs.  I think this will help us more accurately answer your question.  Really the questions is: Is this the right procedure for me?