Can I Have Lipo Even After Doctor Says I Will Look Horrible with Excess Skin?

I have been to 6 plastic surgeons, and all said that I need a Tummy tuck because I will have excess skin, due to the fact that I lost 60lbs sometime ago. I now weight 135lbs. I can afford lipo but is this a waste of money? How horrible will I look? 2 doctors said I will look horrible, which hurt my feeling.. with all the fat gone after lipo, I should look better instead of worst? One doctor offered to do the Avelar.

Liposuction Candidate?

+1

Based on the description of your weight loss and your experience with plastic surgical consultations,  it will be in your best  interests to save for the operation that will give you the results desired.

Unanimous consensus for a tummy tuck and not liposuction

+1

The facts are: 1.) that you have lost 60 pounds meaning that you will have excess, lax skin and 2) 6 different plastic surgeons recommended the tummy tuck and against the liposuction and provided you with consistent reasoning. This is a quite a open and shut case even without photos. 

Doing the liposuction would just be a waste of time and money and would be the wrong procedure. Wait until you can afford to have the correct procedure, a tummy tuck. Don't do the wrong procedure.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Will liposuction alone after significant weight loss with loose skin, end up with a bad result

+1

You have done your due diligence by seeing 6 surgeons.  If you have loose skin, the lipo will have a deflational effect and you will be powerfully unhappy.  It will definitely be worth your while to save up and get the right procedure which likely would be liposculpture with a tummy tuck.

Kenneth L. Stein, MD

Liposuction with loose skin.

+1

It sounds like you have been given good advice.  Save your money and get the correct surgery (a tummy tuck).  If 6 different surgeons have advised you against liposuction,  it is likely that they are correct, and you would be very unhappy with the result.

Kevin F. Hagan, MD

Tummy tuck and liposuction

+1

Some patients who have significant redundant skin will first undergo liposuction and then after some time will undergo an abdominoplasty / tummy tuck.  If the muscle needs tightening in the abdomen, not just skin removal, there is no reason why it couldn't be done at a later time. Certainly it might be more convenient to do all the surgery at once, but the risks do increase compared to having the abdominoplasty at a time separate from the liposuction. It usually is not a question of one or the other. You probably would need liposuction even if you had an abdominoplasty.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction,SmartLipo,SlimLipo,Tumescent liposuction after weight loss

+1

Once you have excess skin with very little fat, unfortunately, the only way to help it is with it being excised like with pta tummy tuck. SmartLipo, SlimLipo,Vaser,Tumescent liposuction, liposculpure may shrink the skin but usually minimally. If you had gone to only one board certified plastic surgeon I would suggest to seek another opinion but after several and if they are telling you the same, I would be realistic and realize that you need to save your money and do something significant which should get you to the result you want.

You may be surprised at how relatively reasonbably a tummy tuck is. We offer special pricing because of the ecomony. Watch my videos.

Also, I am president of the American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons and our members have a special interest in body contouring. Visit our website(ASBPS.org) for many photos and a list of our member plastic surgeons.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction vs. Abdominoplasty

+1

If six board certified plastic surgeons have given you their opinion  I would concur.  Unfortunately we all have an ideal of what would be the most convenient and work the best for us and when that is not the case, it's tough to wrap your mind around. No reputable surgeon would perform a procedure that would not produce the best possible results to address your concern.  If you look long enough you will find someone who will perform what you want and not what you need. Best of luck!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and tummt tuck

+1

Usually six different plastic surgeons will offer six different opinions. If they all agreed, then it is probably the correc thing to do.

Liposuction vs tummy tuck.

+1

First , you should be congratulated on your weight loss.  Second, a photo would be helpful in evaluating your problem, however, you state that several plastic surgeons have already recommended against just liposuction as they felt it would not leave you looking good.  If you have excess skin of your abdomen, which is loose and perhaps hangs a bit, then liposuction will only decrease the bulk of your abdomen but will not tighten the skin ( no matter what type of marketing says it does) and the skin will appear even looser.  Having a procedure which does not give you the optimal result will likely leave you unhappy.  Your prior plastic surgeons likely are giving you frank information of what will be best for you.  Following their advice is probably best.

Liposuction vs Tummy Tuck

+1

Chicken or the egg? This particular question rattles the plastic surgeon on a daily basis. Here's the dilemma. Too much skin or just enough? Patients who are candidates for a tummy tuck will have excess skin with poor tone, multiple stretch marks and redundant skin above the umbilicus. If your skin is tight or has minor laxity then you may be a candidate for liposuction. There is also the technique of lipoabdominoplasty which implements both.

If you have gone for a few consultations and get the same response, that's a good sign. It means that your particular case is clear cut. There are some patients who fall into a gray area which may get differing opinions. Make sure your surgeon is a board certified plastic surgeon.

Kenneth Bermudez, MD