If I Get Lipo on Abs Will I Lose Weight in Other Areas Faster Than if I Didn't Get Lipo?

I am 44 years old, healthy female, 138 pounds and 5'6". I gained 10 pounds and am considering getting lipo on my abdomen. My question is, if I am losing weight, and I get lipo, will I lose the weight in other areas faster than if I did not get the lipo?

Liposuction

+2

If you lose more weight after liposuction, you may indeed lose the weight easier in  different  areas that were not liposcutioned.

Weight loss after liposuction

+1

Liposuction of the abdomen will remove fat from that area, it will not have an effect on potential weight loss from other parts of your body. Liposuction is indicated to remove fat that is recalcitrant to diet and exercise, and is not intended as a means of weight loss per se.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Liposuction on one area and its effect on fat loss in other areas

+1

The body's metabolism of fat does not make it burn off more fat in other areas when a particular area undergoes liposuction fat removal. In fact, if dietary intake doesn't decrease, or exercise increase, and you maintain the same calories as before the liposuction, then you may see an increase in fat in other areas (although not much if there wasn't an overwhelming amount removed). What does happen commonly to those patients who have battled the bulge for years and had been very frustrated and gave up on diets and exercise, is that they finally see a new physique after the liposuction in one area and they develop a rekindled interest in working hard at improving the other areas by dieting appropriately and exercising better.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction does has no far-reaching effect on Fat elsewhere

+1

Liposuction removes under the skin fat with vacuum. This fat removal and sculpting will have no effect on fat elsewhere in the body except possibly in giving some patients the motivation to exercise more and follow a diet.

Dr. Aldea

Liposuction and Weight Loss

+1

Liposuction will only affect the area that is operated on.  Some patients think that if they get lipo in one area, that the other areas may gain weight if they were to lose weight.  This  is not so, you can still gain weight in the areas that you have had lipo on.

Also you will not lose any fat in the other areas if you only get lipo on your stomach.  

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Liposuction of Abdomen

+1

Liposuction of the abdomen will affect only the abdomen.  You will not lose weight in other areas faster than if you do not have liposuction.

Steve Laverson, MD

Liposuction of abdomen will not affect weight loss in other areas.

+1

Hi.

Liposuction of the abdomen will just give you a flatter stomach. It will not speed up weight loss in other parts of your body.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)