Lip Asymmetry After Mohs Surgery. What Are My Options?

I had Mohs surgery on my upper lip and now my lips aren't symmetrical at all, and I am embarrased by this. Is there something I can do to correct this?

Mohs surgery to lips

+2

The most important thing is that the cancer has been removed, and because Mohs was done, as much of the lip surface as possible has been preserved. I would recommend that you wait several months after the surgery for the site to completely heal. After that, you can visit an experienced board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for an evaluation of dermal fillers or lip augmentation.

Lip reconstruction after Mohs surgery

+1

Lips can be an unforgiving location to repair after skin cancer removal because they are a free margin. This means that any amount of tension of the lip can cause it to pull up or down because there is no support to keep the lip in place. Scars continue to mature for up to one year, so time always helps with the end cosmetic result. If the asymmetry is significant, however, surgical fine-tuning (i.e. z-plasty) can be performed to lengthen the scar and bring the lip back to its normal resting place. 

Ramona Behshad, MD
Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon