What Is The Best Treatment Option For a 15 Year Old Depressed Lip Scar? (photo)

Dear community, what is the best way to treat the depressed scar, visible on the photo? It was caused by an accident with glasses 15 years ago. The depression doesn't particular bother me, it's just the appearance of a white line surrounded by normal tissue. Is there a possibility to conceal this a bit? I'm aware that scars are forever but I hope for an improvement. Thank's for your help!

Fixing a depressed and indented lip scar with scar revision surgery in Los Angeles

+1

Depressed scars on the lips are dynamic and can be improved with a combination of subcision or surgical scar revision. The photograph clearly illustrates a depressed scar on the lip that can be improved by scar revision surgery.   See the photo of a lip scar on our website. 

White scar of lip after trauma

+1

It appears that surgical revision of the scar to break up the width as well as the color of the scar might be your best opiton. The procedure can be done under local anesthesia. I would also consider laser abrasion at six weeks after the revision if the scar is not healing flat. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best Treatment for White Scar

+1

Hi Nord.  You have several viable options. 

You can have a surgical revision, laser resurfacing or injections.  But what you said bothered you most was the white line.  If you had laser resurfacing or injections, it's unlikely that the white line would disappear.  If you had a surgical revision, it's very possible that you would trade one white line for another one.

We would suggest you consider all three options, but when you go in for the consultation, make sure that the practitioner can show you pictures of another patient that had a similar issue and how it turned out. 

Finally, although we hate to suggest this, we sometimes do refer scar patients out for permanent makeup treatments.  We find that some surgery patients are good candidates to hide that white line using an ink that blends with the skin.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD