Should I Get Lip Reduction Surgery (African American)?

Hi,I am a 13 soon turning 14 year old. I am an African-American and I have really large lips. I have been made fun of them since I was 9 years old and still today. Every time I look in a mirror,I see my lips taking over my face. I already know the side effects of getting lip reduction done and discussed this with my mother. Should I get Lip Reduction Surgery?

Lip Reduction

+2

I feel it is best to wait until you are at least 18 years or older to have any surgical procedure done. You are still growing, both physically and mentally, and you may notice changes over time. If you are still wanting a surgery when you turn 18 you should have one-on-one consultations with accredited plastic surgeons in your area. Plast surgery should not be taken lightly and you want to choose the best doctor for you and your goals. Best of luck to you!

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip reduction

+1
Lip reduction is a very safe procedure.  However, you probably need to wait until you are 18 and finished growing.  Full lips are very desirable for most women, and you may feel differently about your lips then.  I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon at 18 to discuss the procedure and options. 

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon