Is Lip Reduction Safe?

Hi, I have long desired to reduce the size of my lower lip so that it better coincides with my upper lip. I know lip augmentation occurs frequently, but how common is lip reduction and is it considered a "safe" procedure? By safe, I mean an uncomplicated procedure. I have attached a photo for your review. Thank you all for your help.

Lip reduction

+2
Lip reduction is a very safe procedure that may be done in the office.  Usually the incisions are placed inside the lip, so scars are not visible. I would suggest meeting with a plastic surgeon to discuss the procedure with you.  Please be aware that the lower lip should be larger than the upper lip.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Lip reduction

+2

Yes, it is true more people have lip augmentation. Lip reduction is a safe procedure but it will leave a permanent scar on the inside of the mouth. 

Is a lip reduction safe...

+1

A lip reduction is a safe and easy procedure, but  just like any other surgery there can be minor risks involved.  It is done under local anesthesia and takes about 30 minutes to perform. An incision is made on the inside of the lip, a piece of internal lip is removed, and then it is sutured together.  Dissolvable sutures are used which should disappear in about or week or two.  Swelling can be present for a few weeks depending on the severity of the reduction, and the incision may have some tenderness for a few weeks as well.  Ultimately, the result is usually nice.  Make sure to consult with a board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeon to discuss any questions you may have.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip reduction surgery is safe

+1

Lip reduction is a straightforward procedure to reduce the volume and height of your lip in a tailorable fashion using an excision of tissue from the inside of your lip.  The scar of the lip may feel tight or potentially sensitive for several months.  In general it is a well tolerated procedure performed under either local anesthesia or IV sedation if you prefer more comfort.

Thomas T. Le, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Reduction Safety

+1

Lip reduction surgery is generally a safe and easy procedure. As with any surgery, there are risks and anytime you cut the skin there will be a scar. For the most part with lip reduction surgery the scars heal well and the risk is minimal.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip reduction is quite safe and commonly performed.

+1

As Dr. Aldea said this is very simple and the method he described. There are very rare complications. the lip will be swollen for several weeks.

Lip Reduction

+1

Lip reduction is a relatively uncomplicated and safe procedure. It involved removing a horizontal wedge of the lip to both decrease the lip pouting and its volume. It involves a scar on the inner side of the lip which in the vast majority of cases heals extremely well.

Lip reduction is safe, knowing aesthetics is important in arriving at the best results

+1

I think your lips are not grossly enlarged but I do see the difference. Many models have your type of lips. Ideally your lower lip should be the height equal to the width of your iris, or the colored part of the eye.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip reduction surgery : Safety for protruding lips or silicone injection complications

+1

Lip reduction is a safe surgery performed in a select group of patients with protruding lips or silicone granulomas.  I perform the surgery using meticulously placed incisions in the mucosa of the lips

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS