Options For Lip Reduction To Correct Past Fat Transfer? (photo)

Hello Doctors, I had a permenant lip augmentation done a few years ago to my top and bottom lips with fat grafting and when I smile with my mouth closed my inner wet part of my lip buldges out on my top a bottom lips. It sort of looks like a have a double lip. I would like to know if the wet part of my lip can be reduced so this doens't happen anymore. Thank You

Lip Augmentation Correction

+1

It's possible that the lower lip was augmented more than necessary behind the wet line of the lip. The correction for this would be to trim the wet mucosa so as to turn the lip in slightly. This would be a relatively simple procedure and could be performed under local anesthesia if desired. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Options For Lip Reduction To Correct Past Fat Transfer?

+1

Sounds like this may be caused by the previous fat injections to the lips.  This is why I prefer Alloderm Lip Implants over fat transfer or injections for Lip Augmentation.  Yes, the procedure is called a Chieloplasty and is used to reduce the size and asymmetric sections of the lips through and incision along the inside of the mouth. Aesthetically, the lips should have the following proportions, regardless of their size.  The upper lip should be no larger than 75% of the lower lip size and or volume.  I have performed Chieloplasty (Lip reductions) and Lip Augmentations for over 22 years.  The procedure takes about 30 minutes and uses dissolvable sutures inside the mouth.    

You may consider consulting a specialist that performs lip reduction surgery.

+1

I read your concerns and reviewed your photo which is limited:

I see the wet part of your lip protruding when you smile. This appears worse on your lower lip. The overall size of your lips looks appropriate.

You could consider lip reduction surgery. You could have a small amount of the wet portion of your lips excised and the entire scar would be in your mouth. Sometimes the scar can have a firm texture, and the size of your lips may get a bit smaller. You may have minimal downtime, typically a week or less.

Hope this is helpful for you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon