Do I Need a Lip Reduction or Augmentation? (photo)

OK so I've kind of accepted that I'll have big lips for the rest of my life. It's something I was teased about growing up and I guess that's where my insecurities on the issue began. I don't really want a lip "reduction" I just want my bottom lip to not hang so much; it's nearly touching my chin. Im too afraid to drastically change the size of my lips b/c of the unexpected outcome, so I've settled for this slight change. Would this procedure be considered a lip reduction or augmentation. thanks

Do I need a lip reduction?

+3

It's hard not to become emotional when I see such a gorgeous woman who wants to change one of the features contributing to her unique beauty.  PLEASE don't change your very alluring lips.  Yes, they are large compared to most other women;  Perhaps those other women have lips that are too small.  There's nothing wrong with different, and in your case, I believe it works for you.  Consider yourself "well endowed."   ENJOY!

LIp reduction?

+2

While a lip reduction is possible, I would not recommend it to you. Based solely on your photos, I think your lips are an attractive component of your face and should be left alone.

You may be a candidate for lip reduction surgery to decrease the size of your lips.

+2

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos:

In my opinion, you have attractive, full lips. But if you want a subtle reduction, you may consider lip reduction surgery for your lower lip, or both of your lips.

In my practice, lip reduction is performed by removing a strip of mucous membrane from the portion of your lips that resides inside your mouth. This may result in a conservative, smaller appearance, and the scars will be inside your mouth. Occasionally, these scars can feel firm which is a negative you should consider before proceeding.

All the best.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Most people want bigger lips, but we can make them smaller too

+1

Over 20 years ago, we used to perform a lot more lip reduction procedures. Styles and fashion dictated smaller lips. Now most people want fuller lips. The advent of hyaluronic acid fillers (Restylane and Juvederm) make this a simple office procedure that most patients love. And despite popular belief, lips can be made bigger and not look "done."

However, for very full lips, lip reduction is still an options. The incision is hidden inside the mouth so no scars are visible. This is a permanent treatment, so you need to be sure you really want thinner lips. I find computer imaging very helpful in making this decision.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Lip reduction

+1
You may benefit from a lip reduction procedure. A small strip of tissue removed from just inside the upper and lower lip will modestly reduce the lip size . You will still have attractive full lips, just not as pronounced. There will be a scar but it usually is not visible . Also there may be some temporary numbness or sensitivity. Have a consultation with a surgeon who has experience with this procedure to see if this would be an option for you

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Lip reduction

+1

Only a lip reduction could improve your situation. Perhaps ask your surgeon to be conservative. A revision then could be done if you want the lips still smaller. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon