Lip Profile, Overbite and Invisalign?

Unfortunately I have a skeletal overbite and I am 19. I have worn braces before and I have relatively straight teeth. My ortho suggested that I am a suitable candidate for invisaligns and he would help correct the overbite using these clear braces along with elastics. He would move my lower frontal teeth forward How much would this help a receding lower chin(as a result of skeletal overbite?) and will my lip profile have a major improvement?

Skeletal overbite

+2

Sometimes the truth is hard to hear and it is easy to believe if someone is telling you what you want to hear. But if you do have a skeletal problem and they couldn’t correct with braces when your where younger, it would be doubtful that Invisalign can make a drastic change.  You might need a much more involved treatment plan if you want to see a real difference in how you look.

New York Orthodontist

Skeletal overbite difficult to correct with invisalign

+1

At the very least, some photos would be needed here.  In some cases, what appears to be a skeletal overbite due to a retruded mandible may be a mandible that's being held in a retruded position by a small or narrow maxilla (upper jaw).  In such a case, expanding and widening the maxilla often allows the "trapped" mandible to come forward as the muscles relax and "unwind".  To guide the mandible to come even more forward, special orthopedic appliances are available which can be used with or without braces.  You should consult a general dentist or orthodontist who is familiar and experienced with these concepts.  Good luck!

Michael Firouzian, DDS
Columbus Cosmetic Dentist

Lip Profile, Overbite & Invisalign

+1

Without seeing photos of your mouth and face, as well as X-rays and models, it is impossible to answer this question. Sorry. In general, however, if you have a skeletal problem resulting in an extremely retruded chin, reducing the overbite slightly with Invisalign will NOT make a significant noticeable change in your profile.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist