Which Lip Procedure Gives the Most Subtle and Natural Look?

I have been over lining my lips very subtly for years and believe it makes a HUGE difference in the way I look. I think it balances my face and I look much more attractive when I do so. I believe I have a larger space between my nose and top lip and my particular focus is on enhancing the cupids bow. For a more permanent improvement, that doesn't require lip liner, which procedure do you think would be best suited? Lip lift, implants of fillers?

Subtle and Natural Lip Enhancement

+2

It's hard to say which method would best yield the results you seek without evaluating your face.  However, there are a few different options, including fillers for the lips which is temporary and permanent options such as lip implants and lip lift.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can best help you achieve the results you seek.

BEWARE OF LIP IMPLANTS< LIP LIFTS AND PERMENANT FILLERS!!!!

+2

Do not get any solid or semisolid implant placed in your lips they all look very unnatural and can cause devastating consequences. The ONLY kind of off the shelf filler that is appropriate and safe is hyaluronic acid ie Perlane, Restylane, Juvederm.  The best filler is your own fat -safe and permanent.  Look at the results and discuss expectations with your surgeon.  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Lip Enhancement

+2

The key to subltle lip enhancement is using a combination of the correct material and the most experienced and talented injector. A word to the wise. Look at the lips of the nurse injector administering your treatment in order to get a sense of her aesthetic sensibility. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Philtrum is the "love charm"

+2

DreamCatcher19: It's a sad fact of life that we loose fibrofatty tissue in our earlobes and lips with age.  This explains the larger space between your nasal tip and upper lip.  Lining the lips is very smart, however as you may have experienced often the sides aren't exactly symmetric.  That's why most lip implants aren't as forgiving as fillers.  Regrettably augmenting a lip takes time, patience and resources. Hyaluronic acid is preferable, not only for redefining the lip line but also for enhancing the dry vermillion, etching the philtral colums (vertical columns which extend from the base of the nose to cupid's bow), rectifying any lipstick bleed lines and augmenting marionette's lines (folds, which originate from the corner of the lips, obliquely downward).  As a resident, we routinely used lip lifts to revise cleft lip patients but in private practice, it's hard to justify making a scar on a woman's lip.  Hope this helps. 

Lavinia Chong, MD

Natural Lip Augmentation

+1

There are many methods to increase the size of lips.  These include surgical and non surgical techniques.  A natural result depends greatly on the product used, technique and discussion of expectations.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation For The Most Subtle and Natural Look

+1

Hyaluronic acid fillers usually give the best and most natural looking results for lip augmentation.

HA is a naturally occurring sugar. It can augment tissue and hydrate it as well. These molecules can hold a lot of water

However, the key to getting the best results is choosing the right doctor.

Lip augmentation requires artistic and technical skill. There are certain lip proportions that must be adhered to so that you don’t end up looking overfilled

And there are also best practices to help ensure that the left side is symmetrical to the right side

Here is a patient example using Juvederm

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Natural looking lip augmentation

+1

I tend towards autologous fat grafting, which can have a sustained result in some patients for many years; however, I also use the various other fillers and implants in my practice, and a great deal depends on the patient’s desires and anatomy. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Lips augmentation options vary based on anatomy

+1

It's hard to know what the best option is without photographs and a detailed consultation.  We lose volume in our lips as we age... this results in thinning of the lips as well as increased height of the white lip.  Fillers are usually a  great option to explore lip augmentation.  HA fillers like Juvederm and Restylane are reversible if necessary, but can be properly used to augment both the philtrum and the red lip to provide subtle but beautiful results.  For some patients, other options like a lip advancement or an implant may be suitable, but you should be seen by your local (facial) plastic surgeon to have a thorough discussion of all of your options.  Best wishes.

Michael Bowman, MD
Montgomery Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers for lip enhancement

+1

Fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane are excellent options for enhancing your cupid's bow in a very natural way.  I think it is best to start with these as they are not permanent and could be dissolved if you do not like the result. 

Ritu Saini, MD

Lip augmentation

+1

I would not recommend any permanent treatments for the lips. With filler, I find the best result is obtained with Juvederm. It yields a great looking and natural result. I would recommend a consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon who has a great deal of experience performing lip augmentations with filler. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck! 

Paul S. Nassif, MD