Lower Lip Got Paralysed from Botox

Will this go away? And should I exercise to fight this paralysis? I only wanted to inject in chin, but he also injected in lower cheek-I did not want that. It was done for old facial paralysis to correct overactive chin and smile asymmetry-I only wanted to do chin. Now half of lower lip is paralyzed: assymetry at speech. I went through hell fighting facial paralysis before-not to have this now,I wasn't warned of side effect. Can it be permanent?

Lower lip paralysis post Botox injection

+2
First I must say I am sorry that you are going through this and I am sure it is an unpleasant reminder of past trauma you have suffered with the same situation. With that said you will be happy to know that Botox is temporary and you should see improvement of motion back in the area within the next 6 weeks and as the product dissipates the paralysis should improve. I would go in and speak with your physician regarding anything that he/she feels would be beneficial in improving your recovery. It is important that prior to any treatment that the patient be advised via consent and pre and post operative instructions of all risks and complications associated with the requested procedure. I wish you a speedy recovery and best regards!

Muscle weakness from Botox is temporary

+1

the muscle relaxation you have from the Botox is temporary. It has never been permanent I'm glad to tell you. Unfortunately there is nothing I know that can speed up the resolution of the Botox effects. Trying to exercise the muscles does not help. You will see significant muscle activity return in 12 to 16 weeks after the Botox.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Palm beach botox side effects

+1

The good news is that this weakness is temporary and should resolve over the next several months. You may start to see improvement in 6-7 weeks after injection. You should definitely make your plastic surgeon aware of the results of your Botox treatment and express your concerns to avoid having to go through this again.

Anita Mandal, MD
Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox is not permament.

+1

As the responders to your question state, it is not permanent. But you should discuss with your doctor the logic in where the Botox was placed and why. Off label use of Botox is common (Botox placed in areas not cleared by the FDA)  but this is usually OK because the injections are well thought out by the practitioner as to what the results should be. This doesn't seem to have happened (discussion or expected results).

Harlow Hollis, MD
Victoria Plastic Surgeon

When Will Lip Paralysis from Botox Wear Off?

+1

Hi lhas.  Unfortunately, exercising the mouth will probably not help the Botox wear off more quickly.  The duration of Botox injections does have a correlation with the typical amount of movement in an area.  For example, the Botox we inject in the upper lip for smoker's lines wears off very quickly for two reasons.  The first is because we do not use that much of it (4-6 units) and the second reason is that there is a lot of movement in this area, smiling, chewing and talking.  This usually leads the Botox to break down more quickly than in other areas of the face.

This is true with the chin as well.  So, while we do not think it will help a great deal to exercise this area, our experience has been that the duration for Botox in the chin is shorter than in other areas of the face and that you should have full movement back within 6-8 weeks.  Hope this helps and good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Weak lower lip after Botox

+1

Yes, by all means you should exercise and move your mouth and lips as a way to make the effects of the Botox wear off sooner. 

Botox injections in a patient with facial paralysis

+1
Fortunately the effects of Botox are temporary. Patients with existing partial or full facial paralysis are very challenging. It is often a balancing act that may not be perfect the first time. It is simply not possible to make the face symmetrical during animation and repose if one side is not functioning normally. Seeking a fine surgeon or dermatologist and sticking with them will often yield very nice results in patients with facial paralysis.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Lip paralysis after chin botox

+1

Injecting Botox around the mouth has much more risk than in the upper 1/3 of the face where it is most commonly used. I always tell my patients of the risks and potential rewards.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Lower Lip Got Paralysed from Botox

+1

Best news is it will wear off over the next few months. Sorry this happened to you but yes you should have been informed this could occur. 

Lower Lip Paralysis After Botox Injections in the Cheek

+1

Hi Ihas,

Your side effect from your recent Botox injection will be temporary, hopefully not too lasting as the doses used in the cheek are not very strong usually.  Sorry that you have to put up with the temporary side effects.  This is another example of how the injection of Botox is an art and patients should make sure that they choose their injecting physician most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD