Will a Lip Lift Help to Show Upper Teeth when I Smile?

When my mouth is closed it looks pretty normal, but when I smile, my top lip don't lift up to show my teeth. It hangs over my teeth like a curtain. I have really perfect teeth that don't show and I don't know what to do.

If i force a smile it shows but does not look natural. Would a Lip lift help?

Lip lift and tooth show while smiling

+2

Measure the distance between the base of the nostrils and the red part of your lip. If it is more than 1.5 centimeters you could get a good result.

If you hold your mouth slightly open and the upper front teeth don't show, lip lift would definitely help.

Check out the video below and the web link for more info to see if you are a good candidate.

Lip shortening

+2

Lip lift may potentially help with an enhanced show of your upper teeth. However the scar which is placed under you nose is often very visible. Also other forms of lip lift will leave scars that can be highly disturbing. In addition,an under bite may be the cause of this. The latter can be corrected by orthognatic dentistry.

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS

No lip lift

+2

According to this picture the distance between you lip and nose appears smaller and therefore I would be somewhat reluctant to advise a lip lit. Your vermillion and mucosa seem relatively larger and a lip reduction could help show more of your teeth. Another problem could be the inclination of your teeth. I would discuss this both with your dentist and plastic surgeon.

Lip lift not a good idea to help smile

+1

I would strongly caution you against having any type of “lip lift” procedure. At best, it will probably make your gums too visible. Most likely, surgery of this nature will produce an unnatural and perhaps a deforming appearance. Your pictures indicate that you are pretty with nice features and a nice natural smile. This is your anatomy. I recommend that you try to accept your good looks.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip shortening

+1

Your lip is not long, and does not need shortening. I yet have to see a lip shortening scar that I liked, or did not need revision.