Correct Lip Lift Scars?

I had a lip lift augmentation 2 years ago and my scars around the (outside) border of my lips (top and bottom) feel hard, stiff, tight and very uncomfortable. They also burn, and my lips are very sensitive from the scars. I hate speaking/talking because it is soo uncomfortable. (My problem obviously has to do with the scars.) I have NO injectables, fillers or implants in my lips. Is there anything that I can do to make my lips feel soft and settle the pain and sensitivity?

Steroid injections and possibly fat injections could soften scars up

+2

Steroid injections and possibly fat injections could soften the scars up. It sounds like the main reason for your questions is the feeling of the scars and not the actually appearance. Scar revision for appearance would be a totally different thing. I think that steroids would be something that could soften up the scars. It may take a couple of treatments to get the right effect. I usually do injections every 6-10 weeks. There are risks with steroid injections like poor wound healing, muscle and bone loss, hormonal changes, water retention, weight gain, hair growth, changes in your appearance, psychiatric issues, change in appetite, etc that you should be aware of. But these are associated with more long term risks that you get when you ingest steroids for long periods of time.

Also, fat injections are great to break up scar contracture and also repair the area, although this would depend on how it looked. Fat brings soft feeling tissue to the area and can also break up the scars and the tough tissue within the scars. This will require some knowledge on how to use certain instruments to get this effect on the part of your surgeon.

If you didn't like the way the scars looked then some type of scar revision would be possible. You can excise the scars out with a new closure of the incision. Laser resurfacing can be another option to improve the surface quality of the scars.

I hope that helps.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Painful Lip Scars

+2

You have a very difficult situation. The lips are important, and any pain ,burning can interfer with function and social limitation.

You seem to have a hypertrophic scar around the lips. treatment has to be very caucious because as mentioned steroids can cause atrophy and thining of tissue.

5 FU has been used for the treatment of hypertrophic scars with 85% improvement rate. It can be combined with Tunable Dye Lasers.

These days some are using co2 Fraxel laser. Hope you will find help

Scar treatment for the upper lips - Los Angeles

+1

I would begin with a regimented scar regimen to improve surface texture and improve the softness of the resulting scar. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Scar revision from lip lift

+1

At best a very difficult problem and one reason to avoid this proceedure if possible. My suggestion is two approaches1) very dilute injections of Kenalog mixed with xylocaine ( 5mgs/ml kenalog concentration), this could be done carefully at 6 week intervals, must be careful not to overdo it and create a worse problem. 2) LIght erbium or CO2 fraxel laser treatments may help hide the scar a bit.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Repairing lips

+1

One technique you can use to repair this is by injecting a small amount of steroids into the area. It should be done carefully and with someone experienced in using steroids. It is a simple solution that has very little down side. Good luck.

Carlos Wolf, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scars from Lip Lift

+1

The scars you are describing sound like hypertrophic scarring which usually results from too much tension on the scar lines. The firmness and tingling may be improved with low dose steroid injections. If this doesn't resolve the issue, lasers can be tried. Lastly, a surgical revision should be able to correct the problem in most cases

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist

How to correct lip lift scars

+1

First is tincture of time with massage and emollients. At 2 years out, been there, done that.

Second is steroid injections. This should be done carefully and in small doses, because if the scar is due to tension factors, the scar may spread.

Third would be a scar revision. By changing the angle of pull on the skin you alter the forces of tension and that may help in your case.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Consider steroids

+1

The possible use of intralesional steroids may promote softening of the scars but may have other side effects that you should discuss with your treating physician.

Not sure what kind of lip lift you had without pictures.

+1

You are saying you had a lip lift two years agoi that involved scars around the lip?  This would be a fairly unusual procedure.  I would be careful with revisions as it could make the area worse.  Fractional Co2 laser mihght be a good alternative.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

Lip lift scar repair with steroid injection

+1

At two years post op, your scars should be supple, and not very visible.

One possibility to explore is steroid injection into the stiff scars. This must be evaluated and treated by someone experienced in these situations, as tissue thinning and depigmentation can occur if it is done overzealously.

Scott E. Kasden, MD